Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on the engine from hell, the 347 out of my Coupe. The idiot who used to have this car has monkeyed it to hell and back. It has ARP head bolts but no washers on them. I went to put the heads on today and realized this. Are there some ARP's out there that dont use washers? Also there were no dowels in the front cover. The front seal wasn't leaking. I can't find any dowels anywhere. What's the chance of me getting by without an oil leak if I leave them out and line the bottom of the cover up with the block? Thank's Lex

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
AFAIK, all ARP head bolts and studs use washers. And if they didn't, I would add them. Steel head bolts on cast aluminum - that's a recipe for disaster.

I have never seen block dowels for the front cover. I know they exist, but I'v never seen one.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,176 Posts
Most aluminum heads need a step down washer since the 302 based blocks use a smaller head bolt.

No washers = weight savings :)

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
dowel pins available at any competent parts store , as well as head bolt washers. If I remember correctly they have to be hardened. Why I don't know.Also lube washers top and bottom with assy lube or oil to prevent galling and retain torque.. Bob

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the front cover to what I think is centered so it wont leak and I went ahead and ordered a new set of head bolts with washers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Summit has a dowel kit for Ford motors it comes with the cover dowels .

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
I'v never used locating dowels on the front cover. I install the cover with a couple of bolts sort of snug. Slide the balancer on so it just barely touches the seal. That allows me to center the cover on the balancer, and keep it square with the bottom of the block. So far, that technique has worked well for many engine builds.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm working on the engine from hell, the 347 out of my Coupe. The idiot who used to have this car has monkeyed it to hell and back. It has ARP head bolts but no washers on them. I went to put the heads on today and realized this. Are there some ARP's out there that dont use washers? Also there were no dowels in the front cover. The front seal wasn't leaking. I can't find any dowels anywhere. What's the chance of me getting by without an oil leak if I leave them out and line the bottom of the cover up with the block? Thank's Lex
engine finishing kit for a SBF from comp cams has all the dowels, oil,water caps ect.. the front cover has 2 dowels, (some people use them some don't)
the head bolts may of been the type bolt that doesn't use a washer. Ford bolts never used them.
for the balancer install O'rielleys has a tool they loan out for that "sweet tool"
as Bob said it helps to leave the front cover loose as you install the balancer, i normally just hand tighten them, and some trusty Permatex that gives you time to install the cover.

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
As for the dowels, you don't need them. The key here is to ensure that your front cover seal is centered on the crank snout. Like Leo said, I was taught to install the balancer with the front cover at the same time to ensure the seal is properly centered on the snout.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I did was installed the balancer with the front cover bolts snugged lightly and with the engine upside down put a straight edge on the bottom of the block and tapped the cover till it was flush with the block pan rails then tightened it down. I did replace the head bolts since these were ARP's and I didnt see a set that didnt come with the washers. I'm going to try to have this thing back in the car and running by tonight. Lex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.