Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kit came with Bilsten front coilovers supplied with an FFR spanner wrenck. I purchased Carrera rear coilovers from Vintage Performance Motorcars. They came with a Carrera spanner wrench that they claimed to work better then the wrench from FFR. The FFR wrench doesn't seem to work at all. The Carrera wrench worked fine on both Bilsten and Carrera.

In the picture the FFR wrench (on the bilsten spring hat) is on the left and the Carrera is on the right. FFR's radius is too large which makes the wrench pivot on the one point it cotacts. This pulls the hook out of the hole. The Carrera wrench fits nice and snug because it has the correct radius as the spring hat.

The wrench costs $14 dollars from Vintage. Well worth the

Dennis

·
Sarcasm King
1,528 Posts
I don't use the wrench at all. It is not needed, infact, I think it is worse to use them than "my" method. Simply jack the car up by the frame (not control arm) to take weight off of spring. Then you can turn them by hand.....SOOOOOO much easier.

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that. The car is supported on the frame and the springs are still under compression. Can't turn the ring without the wrench. By the way... what keeps the treaded sleve from turning. I turn the ring and the sleeve turns with it. I must be missing something.

Thanks!

Dennis

·
5,559 Posts
The FFR wrench doesn't work at all for the rear Proshock coilovers. It is very easy to modify the wrench by welding a little tab on the area if front of the handle. That spaces the radius out far enough to keep the "pin" in the hole the way it is supposed to be. Of course, Cleveland is right, just take the weight off, and no tool is needed at all.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
With my proshocks two tie wraps came with them to secure the collar to the spring. There is a milled slot to poke them through on the proshock type. You can also mill the adjusting wrench to fit a little better too. G.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Mr Goodwrench. With the car jacked up and the suspension hanging the spring is still compressed, I can't imagine trying to compress a 300lb spring by hand. How do you tough guys do it? On top of that my Proshocks have only one hole in the collar (for the set screw) which is never in the right place to use the wrench on it! I have to add that I am using 225-50 series 15's on the front which are a pretty short tire and only give me about 4 1/2 inches at the bottom of the front round tubes. As a last resort I could go to a 225-60 series which would pick up the front end to just about the 5 1/2 inches I'm looking for. Bob

[ February 15, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: bob c ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts