Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thinking out loud, but this may be a needed winter project. Just big $$$

I still run a T-5Z, had it rebuilt two years ago by Hanlon. Still having 3rd gear problems, maybe 5th. Re-adjusted clutch, will look at shifter stops. SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, love it, not swapping.

But - My 331 puts out 470'ish HP, and close in torque, and I open track it alot. So, I am thinking I have over-powered it? Am I beyond it's capabilities?

Being said, which TKO would be a BOLT-IN swap? I run 3.55's out back, not swapping. Speedometer not important, I have a GPS speedo. Better shifter location a plus. Hydraulic external clutch that mounts on the tabs on the transmission.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a TKO-600 w/ .64 OD. Liberty has worked on it. It's OK.

Over powered it? Maybe but tires are usually the weak link unless you're drag racing with slicks

If I was to upgrade, and I'm thinking about it, I'd go to the TKX TCET17765 but I really want the T56 Magnum for the two ODs.

All reports on the TKX are indicating great shifting and a well built trans. The TKO has been discontinued but there are probably new old stock units available. The TKX is heavier and probably longer than the T5.

I don't know about mounting bolt patters between the T5 and TKO/TKX. Also unsure about the input/output shaft splines, your clutch will determine in and driveshaft the out. Then there's the first gear ratios and ODs. May need a new driveshaft.

Tremec Most of the info to help with the selection process is on the Tremec site

Research is your friend.

Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
653 Posts
TKO500/600 has the same bellhousing pattern as a toploader, I don't know about the TKX?

·
Registered
491 Posts
TKX was advertised as an upgraded, bolt in for the TKO.
Better syncros, smaller case and various other up grades.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I have a TKO600 behind a 347, with the .80 fifth. No problems at all.... It is a Hanlon trans with his improved syncros.....Probably the best
manual trans that I have ever had..

The spline count is different on both ends from a T5.........I had to change clutchl and u-joints......And I did the trans at the same time time
as switching to a different motor, so it was just another piece of the puzzzle.

If you decide to use a TKX, make sure that a mid shift kit is available......they were not avail a few months ago.

·
Charter Member
1,125 Posts
My T5 gave out (3rd gear & counter shaft) soon after I started tracking more than 15 years ago. That was with a 302 putting 350HP to the wheels. At the time TKO was a glimmer on the horizon, so I chose to have mine built with G-Force gears. I'm still running that transmission with a much stronger engine. I did also move the shifter forward. You have additional choices for a stronger than stock gear set by rebuilding you existing T5, if you choose. There are many forum threads talking about the advantages and disadvantages of the T5, TKO, trannies. FYI, the G-Force tranny gear set did have a different spline on the input shaft, so a new clutch was required.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talking with Mike Forte about going the TKX route this Winter. Has anyone done this upgrade yet? If so, can you describe ALL parts of it, and any other changes you had to make? Shifter itself is not important. Bellhousing, rear trans mount, yoke, etc. I have a GPS Speedo, so that is not a factor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with Jim. Its all about the tires, traction and torque. G-78-14 tires and the trans is safe. Big sticky slicks with big torque the little t5 is in danger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talking with Mike Forte about going the TKX route this Winter. Has anyone done this upgrade yet? If so, can you describe ALL parts of it, and any other changes you had to make? Shifter itself is not important. Bellhousing, rear trans mount, yoke, etc. I have a GPS Speedo, so that is not a factor.
Yes. Did it last summer on my Mk II. My 302 with 6psi boosts dynode at 360 ft lb torques and 350 hp. The TKX required new output shaft, bell housing, clutch plate . I ordered with .8 5th gear with 3.55 on long run I can run to 6000 RPM. To install easy we cut out top of Transmission tunnel so transmission could be pushed up and back. We had to in stall bell housing to transmission in car. Then bolt every thing in. With help with friend it was straight forward. The transmission shifts very good. I run the car mostly at track days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts