Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, odd question. Here's the deal: I've been hammering it a bit harder lately. (Ok, a lot harder) including some rather hard hole shots. The last two days I've heard an strange rattle/buzz from the
trans when coming up to a stop - sometimes. There's
also a 'catch' in the clutch pedal travel. But only when the engine is running - smooth when engine is off. I'm wondering if I've managed to break one or more of the relase fingers? Would I have any other indicators?
Those of you that have broken more parts that I, input please?
I *REALLY* don't want to have to pull the trans just to check.

·
8,272 Posts
It sounds like you have opened up some clearance in the area of the throw out bearing. The buzz is quite common on Mustangs and is the bearing spinning on the nose of the trans. If you lightly rest your foot on the clutch pedal it should go away. The 'catch' is probably a worn 'nose' on the trans, the bit the bearing slides on. A lot of the stock ones were aluminum and wear quickly. Or it could be the pivot ball, or socket on the throw out arm. These also wear unevenly and can get a little notchy. I had 'the buzz' in my donor Mustang for many years and the clutch was still working fine when I tore the car apart to build the Roadster.

I would watch it carefully. If it gets any worse then you will have to pull the trans to fix whatever is up. Of course while you're at it you should change the 'nose' on the trans, the pivot ball, arm and clutch.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.