Factory Five Racing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,337 Posts
Your plug is not that complex, so if your not looking to do a large number of parts-(right now) it might be more cost effective for you to make the mold yourself rather than out sourcing. The tooling process is time consuming because of the working time involved once started, but not above the average DYIer. The most important part of the process is to follow the time reqiurements for the gelcoat and lay up and to remember that the mold should be at least 3x the thickness of the part being pulled. I can point you to several helpful sites, dvd's etc. if you want to give it a shot. IMO It's more time consuming to make the plug than the mold....

Not a step by step, but enough to give you the idea of what's involved.

Plug prepped and mold release sprayed

about 8 layer's of CSM and tooling fabric

trimmed and polished mold

first carbon part pulled

·
Charter Member
1,021 Posts
So when are these going to be available? I am getting close to finished and would love to put one of these on the car instead of the glass.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the inside (engine side) of this piece. I'l like to see the inside of scoop area. I'd also like to see what the filter/air inlet system will look like. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,231 Posts
Mike,

I don't have any pics of the bottom side of the hatch piece. It is essentially the same as the contour of the FFR glass except for the center where I've created the "steps" for the lexan to attach to. There won't be any pics of the inside of the scoop area of the hatch until we get production parts done, as the prototype is full of foam and body-filler! There will be large rectangular cut-outs below the scoops that will match the filters. I should have the rest of the parts to finish up the plenum shortly, and as soon as I do, I'll post up the pics of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shane, you are a sick sick man.

I'm a bit short on cash at the moment though (understatement of the day right there). Give me half a decade or so and then sign me up!

·
Charter Member
1,021 Posts
Well Shane you have any new pictures of this setup? I really want to see what it looks like finished.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well Shane you have any new pictures of this setup? I really want to see what it looks like finished.
Hi Guys,

Sorry, but they are behind in making the tools. They have a large project in house that is taking priority. Was hoping to have something around Thanksgiving. Now it looks like it'll be after the first of the year. I'll post progress as soon as I receive some.

Regards, JimO

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks JimO

Question. Is your car widebodied? Pics if so?

Thanks
Aman
Aman,

I have a thread out there with pics, but can't find it because I changed my log in name. Anyway, did it to accommodate 345/30/19's which turned out to be a costly mistake-- because of ride height and alignment issues-- see other threads. Car looks totally stock. You can't tell unless you had two GTM's side by side. Wouldn't do it again, but the molds are available if you are out of your mind.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Aman,

I have a thread out there with pics, but can't find it because I changed my log in name. Anyway, did it to accommodate 345/30/19's which turned out to be a costly mistake-- because of ride height and alignment issues-- see other threads. Car looks totally stock. You can't tell unless you had two GTM's side by side. Wouldn't do it again, but the molds are available if you are out of your mind.

Regards,

Jim
Just interested as I am planning on running the 345s, was the only interferrence you had really with the suspension and frame rails? How was the fit in the wheel wells? I'm planning on changing things from the engine plate back as well as the suspension. Was there any interferrence issues with anything that would be very difficult to move that is in any area I am not already planning to modify?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Just interested as I am planning on running the 345s, was the only interferrence you had really with the suspension and frame rails? How was the fit in the wheel wells? I'm planning on changing things from the engine plate back as well as the suspension. Was there any interferrence issues with anything that would be very difficult to move that is in any area I am not already planning to modify?
We held the inside offset and pushed the extra width to the outside. Have to re-make the block off panels, but most else is as is. Extra diameter isn't a really clearance problem but it increases the ride height. What changes are you planning in the suspension to get more adjustment? That's the real bugger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The GTM works the extreme end of the C5 range of the cam bolt adjuster on the lower arm. You can barely get to spec. with the stock diameter tire. If the tire is an inch larger in diameter, the only way to get the alignment to spec. is to raise the ride height of the car.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts