Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PS pulley has backed off the pump shaft by 1/2". I was out for a long drive yesterday to give some of the motor mods/upgrades I've mad a good test. The car ran great with oil and water temps staying between 80 and 95C but I know the engine compartment got pretty hot in some stop and go traffic when I felt the PS go away for a second and then come back, this must have been the pulley slipping on the shaft. Everything seemed fine after that, through it might have just been an air bubble, started to hear some belt noise on the way home and then lifted the hood and saw the belt was out of alignment by 1/2" or so and then saw the pulley had moved. I'd almost like to drill/tap and pin the pulley some how but there doesn't seem to be any good way to do that. Pulley is chrome plated AL. I'm going to give the manufacturer a call to see what they say but though I'd check here as well. I'm glad this didn't happen on a long trip but is still somewhat concerning to say the least. Scott
Rotor Machine Machine tool Metal Auto part
Auto part Engine Machine Automotive engine part Metal

· Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
The shaft of the pump is threaded (to utilize installation/removal tools). You could use a nice chrome Allen head bolt and a washer to secure the pulley if needed there...

HTH...
Mark

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Pulley done gone

Johnny:

The heat probably made the pulley expand enough to allow the press fit to fail. If it did it once it will do it again next time the same conditions are there. A good machine shop could drill and tap two holes 180 degrees apart at an angle from the back of the hub to allow you to put in set screws. Putting a bolt and washer on the front might keep it from sliding off, but it won't prevent it from turning on the shaft next time it gets hot which it did when your power steering went numb.

A press fit requires incredibly tight tolerances to allow the pulley to go on and yet not come off when it expands. Whoever made that pulley may have missed by a few ten thousandths too big on the bore. The factory pulley is made of steel or cast iron and so the expansion factor is the same for the shaft and hub and is less because steel expands less than aluminum.

Ron

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Hey Johnny,
I just checked the pulley installation tool that comes with new pumps and it is 3/8-16 thread. You could pull the pulley the rest of the way off and put some green loctite on it before reinstalling it. That should help with the slipping, then add a nice bolt and washer with red locktite on it to hold the pulley on. Good luck with it.

Mike

· Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
Ahhh, the cost of bling. I think the aftermarket pulley itself is the problem. Ford has millions of cars running around using that same pump and press fit steel pulley. None of them have bolts, pins or set screws holding them on yet you don't hear about them flying off the pump shaft. Instead of trying to devise a method of holding what seems to be a poorly made part in place I'd simply switch to an OEM pulley and be over it.

Good luck,
Jeff

· Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi,
You could just replace the pulley with a new pulley and as Mark said, hold on the pulley with a bolt & washer.

· Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, a bolt in the pump snout is an outstanding idea, had never thought of that. That's why this forum is so great. I've tried to thread a 3/8 16 bolt in there but I can only get about one turn of the bolt before it jams. I did some research on the installation tools and it looks like there are two thread sizes, 3/8 x 16 and 8mm x 1.25". Does anyone know if Ford used the 8mm on the C2 pump? I remember all of the auto makers switched over to metric in the early 90's so am wondering what year of pump I might have? I'm going to go pick up an 8mm bolt and give that a try this afternoon.

Yes Jeff unfortunately I have a weakness for shinny things so yes I admit to the bling. The old set up worked fine it just looked butt ugly, hence the change. Hopefully this idea will work and I can keep my bling bling. Thanks everyone for you help. Scott

· Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Just a quick update that I think I have the problem solved by using a 3/8-16 x 1" pan head SS bolt in the pump snout to make sure the pulley doesn't slide out again. The threads seemed to be screwed up a bit but used a spare bolt and a 3/8-16 tap to clean them out enough to get the new bolt engaged by about 1/2" also used Loctite as per Mike's recommendation. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.