Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a drive yesterday morning. Glance at the gauges and I was surprised to see oil pressure at zero?

Everything else seemed OK, no smells to suggest I was losing oil. Oil Temp was OK and the car was running fine.

Still - I head back for home, expecting to see that the wire connection had come loose from the sender - it had not.

So thinking I've got a bad oil pressure sender. I've never heard of one going bad, so thought I'd ask if any of you have experienced similar.

Thanks in advance.

David Peck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ground the wire to the sender and if the oil pressure gauge goes full scale the gauge is working, if it doesn't the gauge is bad, wiring or no power to the gauge. Then put an ohm meter between the sender terminal and ground and if the resistance goes down when the engine is started up the sensor is working if it doesn't either the sender is bad or you don't have any oil pressure. Last thing you can do is pick up a cheap pressure gauge that reads to around 100psi and screw it into the block and confirm the engine actually has oil pressure.

All that being said I would bet on it being the sender, I have seen a lot fail over the years and even had new ones that didn't work or didn't work correctly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have the AutoMeter gauges, silver faces with neon orange indicator needles. I have come to learn that those silver faces were a mistake as they can absolutely blind me when the sun is in the right (wrong) angle.

Dgc333 - thanks in particular for your detailed steps - I will check it out. I'm hoping it is the sender as it's pretty easy to swap out assuming I can get one.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
my speedhut sender went out before 500mi. not sure if autometer senders have the same issue. get a manual gauge and check directly in the block first.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have the AutoMeter gauges, silver faces with neon orange indicator needles. I have come to learn that those silver faces were a mistake as they can absolutely blind me when the sun is in the right (wrong) angle.

Dgc333 - thanks in particular for your detailed steps - I will check it out. I'm hoping it is the sender as it's pretty easy to swap out assuming I can get one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may get some chastisement here ... but I was a good 50 or 60 miles from home when I noticed the oil pressure gauge reading zero. And drove it home. However, I did check oil level as well as for any leaks. That and the fact I was not smelling any burning oil while driving. I did feel as if I was taking a chance through all of that. Getting home without issue tells me I've got oil pressure and must have either a bad sender or bad gauge. Haven't done any diags yet as we are getting ready for family to come to the house.

On this drive I rolled over 17000 miles, so I driven it a lot and have a feel for the car that I did not have early on ... in my defense.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As some of the others have mentioned the sending units do fail far more than you’d expect. In my case it was a speedhut sending unit and there’s only 130 miles on the car. This was just a month or two ago and thankfully when I reached out to speedhut they sent out a new sending unit. Wouldn’t hurt to try the same with autometer seeing how little use you have on it

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I may get some chastisement here ... but I was a good 50 or 60 miles from home when I noticed the oil pressure gauge reading zero. And drove it home. However, I did check oil level as well as for any leaks. That and the fact I was not smelling any burning oil while driving. I did feel as if I was taking a chance through all of that. Getting home without issue tells me I've got oil pressure and must have either a bad sender or bad gauge.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
You have no idea how long the gauge read zero before you looked at it. Most likely a lot of valve clatter followed by a knocking noise from the bottom end would have been your first indication if your oil pressure had actually gone to zero. Serious engine damage would have been done before you got stopped. No harm in driving home after you made sure there was oil in the pan and there were no unusual noises from the engine.

Norm

·
Registered
237 Posts
Anyone have an idea as to why the senders are failing?

Excessive pressure or heat? Not what I'd expect.
Vibration? This would be my guess.
Poor quality? This would not be a surprise.

This may not be gauge manufacturer problem, but a sensor manufacturer problem. Not sure but I doubt that the gauge manufacturers build sensors.

Jim

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've heard that is a combo of heat and vibration from the motor. If/when mine fails again, I have all the fixin's to make a remote sender location on the frame w/ some braided AN connectors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've heard that is a combo of heat and vibration from the motor. If/when mine fails again, I have all the fixin's to make a remote sender location on the frame w/ some braided AN connectors.
Considering the millions and millions of vehicles with oil pressure senders screwed into the block that don't fail I wouldn't bother planning for another failure.

Have you confirmed that it is infact the sender?

·
Not a waxer
12,171 Posts
Considering the millions and millions of vehicles with oil pressure senders screwed into the block that don't fail I wouldn't bother planning for another failure.

Apparently you have never owned Speedhut gauges:ROFLMAO:

Jeff

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

Both senders have been plugged into the block w/o an extension. new one is working great.

·
Not a waxer
12,171 Posts
Never heard of Speedhut until this thread. The OP has Autometer gauges btw.
FYI, the Factory Five vintage gauges are made by Speedhut.

Jeff

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did confirm that the oil pressure sender is bad, and the AutoMeter gauge is OK.

Reactions: Dgc333
1 - 20 of 23 Posts