Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there tried to make the hood scoop functional with a traditional ford style EFI setup? It seems like you could do a modified turkey pan style thing for the hood to come down on and then ducting or tubing to a K&N and mass air, then around to the throttle body.

The amount of bends needed probably negates any ram air benefit, but I just want some fresh air instead of sucking in hot engine bay air!

·
Registered
500 Posts
It would probably be easier to fabricate some sort of cold air induction to the front of the car!
I really dont think that the hood scoop gets a lot of air forced into it because its so low profile, most functional hood scoops that i have seen use the same principle that Nascar uses, a reversed scoop to take air from in front of the windsheild where there is little to no air pressure. Like the "F" body Camaro's and Trans-Am's did! I think a true Ram Air scoop would have to be a little higher into the air flow.
Just my opinion though!
Rick

·
Out-of-control teenager
835 Posts
Not to disagree with a man with such an awesome looking car, but most scoops designed to scoop air have to, by definition, be located in a high pressure area. If in a low pressure area, there is no air to "scoop" or to draw in. I think what you are talking about are actually vents which are located in low pressure areas (like those backwards facing hood holes that vent radiators etc) that vent air out of the car. To remove air, you need to create a low pressure area to help the air move along, from high to low pressure.

·
Senior Charter Member
337 Posts
Rick,

Isn't the base of the front of the windshield a positive pressure area? If so, then it's a good area to get clean intake air at slightly above 1 bar.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm no expert but!
The intake for the air cleaner in a winston cup race car is at the base of the windscreen because of no air turbulance. It is not a RAM AIR system, it just draws clean unobstructed air into the engine. And thanks for the props!
I was only trying to say that a true ram air system would only work if the scoop was actually higher on the hood in open air! I haven't seen an air flow report on our bodies. I do think that a wind tunnel test would be a great thing to see! I would love to see how much this car lifts at higher speeds, I have seen a lot of posts about loss of handling at high speeds!
I'm no expert,I'll be the first to tell you!
I'm just trying to help and having a great time driving my car!
Rick

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think an easier way to describe this is the difference between "forced air induction" and "free air induction"
A scoop in great air flow would be defined as forced air induction, a reversed "scoop" ie: mid "80's z-28's and Trans-Ams "when cut open" would allow the engine to take as much air as needed without a disrupted or turbulant airflow.
I might be typing out my ass but that is what I have learned over the years!
As I said, I'm no expert!
Rick

I'm sure thats why you see all Ram Air Firebirds with the scoop right above the nose now! Pure forced air! most small hood scoops in the middle are really just for looks. And they do look good!
Espesially on the Cobra!

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
There is a high pressure area just in front of the windsheild on most cars. Every notice that's where they all have the air inlets for the ventilation system?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am in the process of making a cold air box out of sheet aluminum. I have a Powerdyne, and have the inlet pointed straight up, so that one bend between the inlet and the MAF puts the air filter right under the hood scoop. If I need a bigger scoop, I may use the Thunderbird style which looks pretty similar to the cobra scoop, and is about twice as tall.I'll post pics when I get done, Scott

·
Charter Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ram air effect is secondary to the ability to draw cold air from outside the engine bay area. I feel like the hot engine bay air would cause a pretty decent drop in performance

·
Charter Member
80 Posts
I have been thinking about the same thing. What about something like this -

Then modify the top to fit under the hood scoop?

Who knows?

·
Charter Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I was thinking of something along the lines of the lower part of the scoop of the banshee system, with foam around it so it would mount to the hood well. Something like this
+ the lower part of this

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
The air in front of the windshield is high pressure.

That's why 1) you have frontal down force in that area. One reason why cobras with no windscreens need front spoilers for racing. and 2) There is either ventalation or induction there.

Air IS being forced into openings there.

Air is also forced in a frontal opening on the hood because there is air running up along the hoodline that goes into the scoop. Both will work if you have a windshield. Whichever best depends entirely on design.

-steve in nj-

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Be careful making closed boxes for air intake. I tried feeding my powerdyne with an air tube from the front brake ducts. It worked ok at low engine speed and low boost but flattend out at above 5000 rpm. With a closed system which is needed to reduce turbulance at the mass air you are very dependant on duct size,number of bends and length all of which will reduce the efficency of the system you may end up doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cobramd, I am not using any duct-work. The box will be built right above the distributor/intake running the full length of the scoop.Should be zero problems with flow and amounts of forced air available. (Will use taller t-bird scoop as mentioned, Scott)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts