Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the Mk VII front brakes, and have the back dust shields as well. Did most of you use it, or left the rotors open? Has anyone added any sort of scoop or extra vent to allow for more cooling? I'm thinking of adding some sort of extra scoop to get more air through the rotor.

What have you guys done here?

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
Heat is not an issue with the brake ducting so I used 3" plastic hose from a woodworking store that is used for vacuum systems. Bends well and works fine. And is MUCH cheaper.

Obviously this is not an FFR but you get the idea.

Roscoe

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Roscoe:
Great concept. May have to do this as a winter upgrade. Do you have any more pictures of the front-end where the scoop is mounted??? Thanks.

Allan

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
No more pics but I used a duct from some racer place and cut it to shape the configuration of the body. Held it in place with a bracket and silicone.

Roscoe

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
I have read that the ducts are not a good idea on a street car. They insure that any dust and rain that get picked, up actually get applied to the brake rotors.

On a race car the added cooling is more important than the added wear.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
Don't know about you but I don't drive in the rain. I've had the ducts on for about 10k and have noticed no adverse issue with the brakes or rotors. Seems ok to me.

Roscoe

·
Registered
773 Posts
"Racer's Wholesale" sell the hi-temp flexible ducting and various scoops that can be made to fit. The setup sure looks neat but I don't know if you'll find there is any advantage to brake ducting for the street. The plastic vacuum hose would probably melt if used at the track, but the additional cooling sure make those expensive track pads last longer.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
The plastic hoses, in my application, do not come into contact with any heat. I've had it on the track and they are in the same condition as the day I installed them.

Roscoe

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
Hey...wait a minute...I just thought of something. The rain? Hey, there is so much water being thrown on those rotors by the tires, puddles, etc that the duct is meaningless.

Roscoe

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about the dust shields behind the rotors? Did you guys keep them, or toss?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts