Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a hard top for my MKIII. In searching thru the archives, the top from APE seems to be the one most recommend. Any advice from those of you who've added a hard top? I have the dual roll bars and I'm wondering how much adjusting I may have to do. According to the posts I've read, it sounds like it would be minimal. My original plan was to go with the Whitby soft top, but the hard top is actually cheaper and in this area of the country (Pittsburgh) it seems to make more sense going with a removable hard top to increase the driving season. Anyone have some thoughts on this subject? As usual, thanks for any info you can share.

Here's the link to the top I'm considering:

I'm looking at purchasing a hard top for my MKIII. In searching thru the archives, the top from APE seems to be the one most recommend. Any advice from those of you who've added a hard top? I have the dual roll bars and I'm wondering how much adjusting I may have to do. According to the posts I've read, it sounds like it would be minimal. My original plan was to go with the Whitby soft top, but the hard top is actually cheaper and in this area of the country (Pittsburgh) it seesm to make more sense going with a removable hard top to increase the driving season. Anyone have some thoughts on this subject? As usual, thanks for any info you can share.

Here's the link to the top I'm considering:

I'm looking at purchasing a hard top for my MKIII. In searching thru the archives, the top from APE seems to be the one most recommend. Any advice from those of you who've added a hard top? I have the dual roll bars and I'm wondering how much adjusting I may have to do. According to the posts I've read, it sounds like it would be minimal. My original plan was to go with the Whitby soft top, but the hard top is actually cheaper and in this area of the country (Pittsburgh) it seesm to make more sense going with a removable hard top to increase the driving season. Anyone have some thoughts on this subject? As usual, thanks for any info you can share.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Your link didn't show.

Does a soft top give you more flexibility? I am thinking of going with the soft top so I can take it out of the trunk and put it on when the weather goes down the tubes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the link. I added a second post providing it.

From what i"ve read here on the forum, the Whitby top is the way to go if you want a soft top. However, I've been warned that the top is not 100 percent waterproof as it fits somewhat loosely. I guess the trickis don't drive if it looks like rain but you know what happens when you do that. A surprise storm ten miles from home. The hard top is removable and I'm told it's easy to take off and put back on. But, I'm no expert so I'm hoping for feedback from the other folks on this forum.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Ape or King Cobra are both great tops and each have unique qualities for your body guy. I would call Ken Pike aka "StreetRodPainter" here on the forum and ask his opinion as far as body/fit quality questions. He's done dozens of both tops.

The Ape will fit over a dual rollbar stock. You can also get a King Cobra from the factory with dual blisters for your dual rollbar setup. No extensive cutting on either. They both use Ape sidewindows or make them yourself for much less.

It is my opinion that they are comparable in both quality and cost.

Other than that it's a question of personal taste, dual sloping humps or low profile/flat top with two blisters.

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
Bill,

I'm designing and building my own soft top. I could build two tops. How soon do you need it? My target completion date is May. PM me if you are interested. I'm in the east part of the Burgh.

Wild Bill

·
Senior Charter Member
559 Posts
Bill,

I have the Ape Hardtop and like the basic design.

Howerever, mine contained a slight twist and required fiberglass work on the rear plate in order for it to be centered and conform to the contour of the body.

The problem I had was if I centered the HardTop in the windshield channel, it would increase the body gaps at the rear of the top (a 1/4" on the Passenger Side and 3/4" on the Drivers side) and the rear would no longer be centered.

Centering the rear of the top, naturally caused the front window channel not to be centered.

I have seen other completed builds with hardtops that contain some degree of uncentered top placement in the windshield channel or inconsistant Gasket gaps @ the Rear.

Is it noticeable?

Possibly not to most, unless you were looking for it.

Here you can see on the bottom of the Hardtop where the Back Plate was Re-fiberglassed.

By just adding a thicker rear base Gasket would not eleviate the problem and over time, deform the paint.

It should be noted that I am having my body shot, Show Quality with Stripes by a Professional.

The Plane on the Workbench should give some an Idea on who I chose to correct the alignment Problem with my APE HardTop.
:D :D :D

Capt Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts