Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Today I went and picked up an IRS section from my friendly bone yard in Gloucester Massachusetts...yes the town from the movie Perfect Storm.

I have been trying in my mind to get a easy solution to the bad e brake setup on the MK3. On My Irs car...it really is a terrible design.

While walking around I saw the perfect e brake Handle. Very similar to Ford designs. I picked it up and enquired about it.

Basically it is a shorter handle and the mounting points were a little incorrect. That said, it will mount perfectly. When I have it in place I will post pics.

The source...wait for it Hyundai Excell.

It actually makes sense as Hyundai originally built cars using Ford stuff under licence. The Hundai stellar for example was basically a MK3 Ford Cortina, same suspension and spindles.

I put the brake alongside a pinto e brake and the mounting holes are the same.

·
5,559 Posts
I love the ebrake in my Volvo S-60. I'd bet it would be a good one, too, if you can find one in boneyard. Good score, and be sure to post some pics when it's working!

Brian

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,152 Posts
Mark,

How much did they stick you for? I found several used ones that include the handle, cable and t-bar for $50. What year car is yours from?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know the year...It was a freebee, the boneyard owner is a pretty good friend by now...I reackon I have spent about $8000 at his place in the last 4 years so now the small stuff is free!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,091 Posts
Mark, what is the overall length of the handle? It looks alot shorter then a mustang handle. Also you think a mustang front cable would fit?

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a couple of inches shorter and has an integral cable with adjuster

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got it mounted, much neater than the Mustang e brake..

Here is what I did.

1. extended the front mounting point by 2 inches using alloy angle bolted in place on the brake.
2, Took the cable T piece off the Mustang brake and seperated the stamped cable holder from the cable.
3. The center hole was then enlarged to accept the cable adjust nut from the Hyundai brake and the T mounted in place of the Hyundai T
4. Handbrake bolted in place and stock cables put in T piece. The cables were then tensioned

Brake works like a charm,looks great 2-3 clicks and it is full on in the stock MK 3 location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts