Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First excuse my terrible spelling. I have had a heck of a time to get the knock offs on. The male fitting doesn't really come out far enough to get a bite on it from the knock off spinner I have used large needle nose pliers to hold the male fitting but once the spinner bites into the threads the male fitting spins and cane get the spinner to tighten down. What have the members done to get their spinners on and tighten down? I was thinking of using clear silicone to hold the male fitting in the wheel so I can get the spinner to tighten down. Is that a dumb way of doing it?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
x2 on the silicone.
While the tire/wheel was off the car, I put a small bead around the lip of the threaded cone (male fitting), inserted it into the wheel, and installed the spinner. I let this set for a day to thoroughly dry.
I don't think this is a permanent fix though. I've considered drilling and tapping holes through the threaded cone (from the inside at about 45*) and biting into the wheel hole. The other thought was to drill a hole at 90* from the backside of the cone lip into the wheel and tap the hole in the wheel (it's harder for me to work up the nerve to drill and tap the wheel!)

·
FFR Craftsman
684 Posts
X3 on the silicone. Be careful tightening the set screw on the spinner, you want it to just touch the threads or it may never come off.
Cheers.
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, it was what I was thinking but wanted some other experianced roadster builders thoughts on the subject.

John

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I didn't tighten the set screws, or fear of damaging the threads and not being able to remove them.
Mine is still go-kart, so not much risk of losing the spinners yet.

I think Wibby replaced the set-screws with nylon tipped screws. This seems like a great idea to me and I'll probably do the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.