Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Okay, maybe not that Chief.
Being in the Navy, as a First Class Petty Officer with 19+ Years of Faithful Service, have once again found myself before the Chief Petty Officer Selection Board. This is my 8th time before the Board, This is the year it should happen, although, I am not going to get my hopes up..... Reason I mention this,this should be the year, they are going to promote 50% of the eligible people that are up for selection, with 309 eligible(in my field that is) and they are going to advance 161 (52%) best I have seen in Eight years! They are going to make a total of 5,298 New Chief Petty Officers this year!
We should know somewhere around the 22nd to the 27th.........Not that I am counting or anything :D
Ben

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim!
It would be nice to make it, but one way or another, I know I am going to retire. we'll see on the 22nd..... :D
Have a good one!
Ben

·
Registered
989 Posts
LOL, Hey Ben, you're in the same boat I'm in. I hit 20 in January and due to my tour in Korea and my required 12 months I have to give at my follow on, I have a big decision to make. I want to retire but I was notified about 2 weeks ago that I've been selected for MSgt. If I take the stripe, I have to promise Uncle Sam 2 MORE years from the time I pin it on. That will make me retirement eligible around Jan-Feb 2008 instead of Oct 2006. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions.......

BTW Good luck on your board

·
FFCobra Fanatic
523 Posts
Best of luck. I did 5 years in the nav. I was an AW. Flew in SH60 B's. Still daydream about what it might have been like to stay in and someday wear some kakis.

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Devin and dlagueux,
You are so right, that will be a decision that will effect me for the rest of my life,I got out of the service back in '88 for almost two years(just before the first gulf war) in 1990, I tried like hell to get back in,that was really tough.
But, I have to make Chief First, If I don't, well, it's time to sail on.......

I got to Fly in a SH60B on the Fourth of July,2001. That was a kick.
Have a great Day!
Ben

·
FFCobra Fanatic
523 Posts
Ben, I amassed approx. 1,000 flight hours while I was in. Almost went swimming on my 3rd from my last flight off the coast of Puerto Rico. Lost tail rotor authority for a brief second and nearly went into the drink. My cheeks almost swallowed the seat cushion they puckerd up so tight. We test flew her the next morning and I flew off the ship the day after that, never to fly again. Looking back, I realize, wow! What a cool job I had. Unfortunately it didn't pay all
that well. Fly low-No thanks needed, it was my deep pleasure to serve. Though my service was hard at times, I cant express my feelings for those serving in combat both past and present. They are true heroes and I consider myself lucky to have served! God bless America!

·
2,332 Posts
Good Luck!!

-SGC

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You Guys are all welcome! It's been a tough 19+ years, but I'd do it all over again(albeit a diffrent Rate) (different job....Postal Clerk :D ) Just kidding! My Uncle tried to warn me about being an Engineer, he said " Last to leave, First to come back" he wasn't lying....life as an Engineer isn't easy,watching all the topside rates(jobs) leave as soon as you tie up or Anchor out (Hong Kong) and then rub it in your face that you can't leave yet was very hard to swallow (and they couldn't figure out why Engineers had attitudes?)
I just finished my Apprenticeship in the Navy, I am now a Journeyman Diesel Mechanic, that's a major milestone in my Career, and the difference between a low paying job and a Sucessful Career. and it didn't cost me a thing.........except the last 19 years :D
Here's to keeping my fingers crossed or, I will have my retirement request filled out before I report to my next and final Command......
I'll bet they will love to see me coming.....
"Hi! I'm Engineman First Class (Surface Warfare)Benjamin Smith, here's my orders and here's my retirement request! and since we're on the subject of retirement, here's my request for Terminal Leave" (basically I have orders to go to a ship for 15 months then I retire, but I have enough vacation days on the books to use towards retiring early, say July- vs.October.
I guess everything hinges on wether or not I make Chief....
I'll get off my soapbox now....
have a great Day!
Ben

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob,
I am a "Engineman" and I have those expensive Gold stripes too (Hash Marks) I've been a First Since 1995 and hopefully, this is the year!
Have a good one!
Ben

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Ben & Devin - same situation here. I'm in the promotion zone this year, but I've drafted a letter to the selection board asking not to be considered due to the 2-year rule. Haven't sent it yet - feels really weird to request NOT to be promoted...

·
3,997 Posts
Ben - if you get the promotion, do you have to do 2 more to retire at that rank? I know that's the way it is in the USAF as Devin said above?

Good luck with the board,

Henry

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Henry and Everyone,
I believe they ask you to obligate two years, I understand there is a waiver of this, depending on how many years you have,from what I heard, this mostly applies to people who joined after 1986, because most people were retiring right after they made E-7, but if I make it, might have to consider staying,I can stay in until I have 24 years in, and that would give me 5 years of "Uncle Sam" paying my Mortgage payments!
But, as I said, that all hinges on wether or not if I make it.
Tim- I understand where you are coming from, I am so close to retiring, and I want to, but common sense tells me I better take the promotion if I make the grade, at least I can tell Momma she won't have to eat Beans! LOL!!!
Seriously, I have to weigh my decisions carefully, although, going back to sea as a Khaki vs. Blue shirt has got to be a different way of life.
Thanks for the best wishes, and I'll keep you posted!
Ben

1 - 16 of 16 Posts