Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Broken-down. Sounded like ticking then knocking maybe backfire some said. Engine never felt rough. Spiked in temp a little then back down all in a minute. When I started in the garage I heard it's squeaking like it was a bad belt.

I shut it down and had it towed back.

Crusing the internet people mention the pulley system and the belt well I went to go check the belt and I'm missing two bolts and one of them loose on the main pulley that's connected to the crank.

20200806_210908.jpg

·
Registered
852 Posts
yikes! I'm going to be super paranoid looking for loose bolts for a while.

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I doubt that would cause the break down but it's definitely an issue

·
Junior Charter Member
203 Posts
Buy a $2 paint stick and mark EVERY bolt/nut as soon as you torque it. It is easy to miss one. Also a quick visual reference two years from now when you are looking the car over to see if one has loosened.

Krusty

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it actually stop running or just begin making noise due to the loose pulley?

Jeff
It did die once in traffic I started it right back up to get it to safety. Made a bunch of noise and I shut it down.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a $2 paint stick and mark EVERY bolt/nut as soon as you torque it. It is easy to miss one. Also a quick visual reference two years from now when you are looking the car over to see if one has loosened.

Krusty
I did this often. Especially on the torque Spec bolts. Apearantly not enough.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There is no shame in it. A little counseling is ok too. Been there a few weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
29,396 Posts
Damn! Going to check mine

·
Senior Charter Member
3,600 Posts
Years ago, 10?, 15? I found my crank bolts loose on an inspection.

In 1968, I sold a perfectly good Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite because of a noise up front.
Guess what it was...............?

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Years ago, 10?, 15? I found my crank bolts loose on an inspection.

In 1968, I sold a perfectly good Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite because of a noise up front.
Guess what it was...............?
Crazy. I hope it's only the pulley

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 1990 efi set up had similar symptom in the driveway. Ended up being an issue with the ignition module on the side of the distributer . Now I keep a spare just in case.

·
Junior Charter Member
698 Posts
My 1990 efi set up had similar symptom in the driveway. Ended up being an issue with the ignition module on the side of the distributer . Now I keep a spare just in case.
Those TFI modules are a known problem.
Always carry a spare and the little socket to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am thinking two separate issues. The loose bolts were making the noise, but engine should still run. The backfire and stall sounds to me like a distributor/eci issue.

When I had my issue, I purchased what I thought would be an upgrade (I think it was a Mallory) , had to return two as defective and then rebuilt my original and found a OEM Ford Ignition module and been perfect since.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts