Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of listing my GTM for sale I've been going through my notes and figured I would share what I learned on starter motors. Some of this is scattered in other threads. My GTM never failed to start, but cranking was weak from the beginning. LS376 + G96. The stock starter was the Bosch 996 604 107 00 (superseded by the 996 604 107 02). This is a 1.7 kW 10 tooth motor that sells for about $275 - $375.

First I installed a dedicated heavy duty ground cable back to the battery. Helped a little, but still less than ideal.

The search then started for a more powerful option. IMI sells a couple models for the G50; IMI-170-001 (1.4 kW, $810) and IMI-170-002 (2.0 kW). In Dec 2018, I was told these would be replaced with a newer model and I could not find either of these part numbers in stock. They may have a solution today. I went with a WOS Performance LMS679 (2kW Denso, $475). Thanks for Lori at Kennedy Engineered Products for confirming compatibility. The change has been like night and day. It starts instantly now.

Auto part Automotive starter motor Cylinder Font Bumper Material property Auto part Tire Text Font Line Number Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive starter motor Automotive super charger part Pump

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great info just placed my order. Car starts and starter wiring is A+ but I don't like how it sounds like it might not turn over with the standard starter.

·
Junior Charter Member
666 Posts
I ended up ordering it too. I can confirm it physically does fit the G50.20 trans. I gotta hook up the wiring now and test it out. Hopefully will get a chance to do that this week.

·
Junior Charter Member
666 Posts
Welp, it did NOT solve the slow start when hot issue for me. Next step is going to be running a 2 ga dedicated ground to the starter directly from the battery and add a heat blanket. I have these on hand already, but wanted to test to see if a direct swap would solve it just from the starter itself...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welp, it did NOT solve the slow start when hot issue for me. Next step is going to be running a 2 ga dedicated ground to the starter directly from the battery and add a heat blanket. I have these on hand already, but wanted to test to see if a direct swap would solve it just from the starter itself...
could it be a timing issue ? to advanced on startup ?

·
Junior Charter Member
666 Posts
could it be a timing issue ? to advanced on startup ?
No, not at all. The engine fires right up when the starter actually cranks it. The problem was that the starter was acting like it was not getting enough power from the battery when the engine was hot. Think of like how a starter would act on a very cold winter morning..

I will say, this new starter cranks faster and "harder" (kind of difficult to describe) than the old one did when the engine is cold. This starter takes probably half the time cranking than the stock porsche unit did. So there is definitely an improvement over what I had. However, the hot start problem is not related to the starter as I was hoping it would be when this thread popped up.

I was able to run a 4 ga wire over the weekend. (I thought it was 2 ga, but I noticed the writing on the wire itself says 4 ga, oh well, I think/ hope this should be enough to at least determine if this helps at all.) I got the rear wire terminated and put a connector on it and bolted that to the starter. Just gotta terminate the front of it where it goes onto the battery now. Ran out of time, but will hopefully wrap that part up soon and report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was able to run a 4 ga wire over the weekend. (I thought it was 2 ga, but I noticed the writing on the wire itself says 4 ga, oh well, I think/ hope this should be enough to at least determine if this helps at all.) I got the 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 rear wire terminated and put a connector on it and bolted that to the starter. Just gotta terminate the front of it where it goes onto the battery now. Ran out of time, but will hopefully wrap that part up soon and report back.
do you still have the same struggle from 1 year ago

1 - 9 of 9 Posts