Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GTM# 255
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone driven a GTM and Roadster on back roads and how do they compare? I am trying to decide what to build. Any comments? Does anyone have any close-up photos of the GTM suspension/frame. I called FF and they had those on their website that don't give much detail.

Thanks,
Scrivy

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Look at some of the builder's photo galleries (try mine in my signature). You should be able to see what you are looking for. If you see a picture on my gallery that you want in higher resolution, just tell me the image number along with your email address in a PM and I'll send it to you.

·
GTM# 255
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the photos

Thanks for the photos. Any comments about the handling vs. the FF Roadster?

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
I drove the GTM one day and my coupe the next, the coupe is very much like the roadster in suspension etc. The GTM is far more civilized in many ways. They both handle well the GTM is very flat (low CG) and the coupe has a lot of handling improvements on it. The GTM is quieter than the coupe. The ride on the coupe is harsher than the GTM. HTH, cheers Richard.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
They both handle well enough... I would give the edge to the GTM for potential for sure. Much more rigid frame and sophisticated suspension. (GTM is born of a C5, compared to a older mustang/t-bird for the cobra)

The roadster NEEDS either 3 link, or better yet the IRS to handle well. The GTM comes with IRS stock.

Really, the biggest question you should be asking yourself, is what kind of car do you want? They are completely and totally different animals. Both can be made to handle well beyond what anyone should be doing on the street with really good manners.

The GTM will cost roughly 2X what the roadster will cost to build and probably 2-3X the time to build it. With that, you get a relatively modern feeling car with AC, Heat, Power Windows, Tilt Wheel, etc... The Cobras, while they do gather attn, its NOTHING like the GTM. The GTM gets more attn than pretty much any exotic besides and Enzo, or Veyron.

David

·
GTM# 255
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Handling and size

Really, the biggest question you should be asking yourself, is what kind of car do you want? They are completely and totally different animals. Both can be made to handle well beyond what anyone should be doing on the street with really good manners.
David
I am looking for a car that will (in this order):

1) Fit my 6'4" body with out cutting off the top of my field of view with a roof overhead and have enough footspace. I don't want to feel cramped on a long trip.

2) Handle well on my back roads.

3) Nice highway driving car.

4) Fast and Fun.

·
Junior Charter Member
361 Posts
The best would be the GTM. I have built all the FFR's (except the 33) and the headroom will be the biggest issue. At 6'-2" I am snug bu comfortable in the GTM. In the coupe, I was to tight to the roof and also continually hit my head on the roll cage. Obviously the roadster was not "height challenged".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts