Factory Five Racing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ron, the dare is on!

Tino just want to say......

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock We are watching :yes:

Of course if you start running out of time, you can always call up Taz to help, since he did accept the dare on your behalf.

With friends and country men like him how can you lose :evil:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Scissor Door Hinge, and Window Track Help Please.

Guts going into doors! This is going to be easy, right?

These scissor hinges are proving to be a challenge. There is absolutely no place to mount the plating on the GTM frame.
I'll have to add some material, and reinforce it with some gizmo-Macgyver thingie.

For those that have installed their windows already, I'm calling for a little clarification please. The assembly manual says
to chop off the studs at the top end of the window tracks. That's done.

It doesn't mention anything about the studs at the bottom, but I'm assuming they all have to be removed. The only one
that is worth keeping (I believe) is the screw/stud in this photo. This could be used to secure the track to the bottom of
the door:

This longer one either needs to be cut down to slide between the fiberglass, or removed completely.
The trouble is, there is a pulley fixed by this bolt. What's the deal here, and what have you done in this area?

Nothing bolted down yet, just sitting for a photo shoot.

This section of the fender-well will be built up with plates, and bars to secure the door hinge.

Scissor door guys, link me to your build page. I'll be searching for ideas!

Pssst...Ron, I went to the ministry yesterday. Received some pleasant news, and instructions. Thanks for the continued fueling of the fire under my butt!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Tino;
cut/drill out all the existing fasteners on the corvette window tracks. use the supplied bolts/nuts/washers to secure the tracks to the door. bottom ones are a no brainer, install as directed. top ones you will have to make it work. good luck and take your time, clear your head and keep at it. it will
all turn out in the end.

can you give me a heads up as to how your registering etc. works out for you.

we actually have summer weather now, so no slacking off, get er done.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I was thinking there would be some hoops to jump through to secure the
top ends of the window rails. I'm searching some build threads now to see
what people have done.

Let me know when you're ready to roll. I wrote Alain this week, and told him
we're going to set a day to go cruising.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Checked some items for clearance this evening. Not much going on until the tires can be mounted, and the exhaust flex pipes arrive.
There will be a good deal of rework required to make things right, except the stereo install perhaps.

Side window air scoop mod. These things need to be cut down, and reshaped to fit the contour of the window. It's a pretty close
match, but not perfect. I'm not sure where I'll route the air flow, but I'm thinking rear brake cooling, or help to circulate warm air
out of the engine bay.

Stereo is darn near made for this console. I don't think I'll need any magic to make this fit.
Making the bracket will be quite the task I'm betting.

P.S. What are the ISIS guys doing for stereo location? Will the ISIS control/play music as well?

Exhaust is tight; not sure my accumulator can stay in the current spot. The muffler diameter is a touch on the
excessive side, but I'm hoping I"ll be able to center the tips in the rear molded area next to the license plate.
I'll have the tips protrude outside of the body so that the lower lip is about 1/2" extended. I will have to shield
the fiberglass with some aluminum to prevent warping.

As much as I'm liking these rims, I'm regretting the offset/backspace dimensions. The wheel sticks out too far
out the side of the body for my liking. At the moment my gut says to roll the front wheel-well a couple of inches,
and use fiberglass to build a smooth transition to an inconspicuous "line" in the body.

This setup also needs a nicer brake caliper as the spokes disclose quite a bit of the rotor, and brake hardware.

That's it for me. I hope your builds are going well.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
A few more toys for the final stretch. Late last week, the windshield went to a glass shop for replacement options. I may end up using Lexan if we can't
find a suitable shape to fit the contour of the body. Last measurement checked at 1/2" gap on one side.

3rd Brake Light (required in Ontario) w/ stop & turn functions. Some LED turn signals for the front.
Not sure if I'll use them as side markers, or up front...or not at all.

Leather wrapped shift knob from Razo, with brushed aluminum accents. Feels good, and has
a nice weight for firm action on the throw.

If anyone can confirm the pin assignments for this connector, I'd appreciate it.
Pin A (purple) - Sender ground
Pin B (black) - Pump ground
Pin C (red) - 12 Volt Pump Power
Pin D (blue) - Sender signal

Yes?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Looking like the windshield alternative isn't going to happen. I'll have to swallow shipping, and customs fees to get the glass from FFR.
Silly me for breaking it the first time!

More progress made today as I worked on the electrical, side air scoops, and body/muffler cutout centers. Tomorrow is, "Scissor Door Hinge Assembly Day".
We should make that a national holiday?

Going to play with this placement before welding the system. Sleep on it, and then try another extension.

Stereo amplifier getting wired up; it takes up the exact length of the fuel tank fire-wall.
LED sidemarkers will be used in place of those chrome ones linked up above. These things
seem more fitting, and the chrome lights may find a home in the interior for courtesy lights.

Almost done with the LH scoop! I'll need to bolt them tight to the body then fill the gaps;
the back end is sitting a bit high right now as you see in the last photo.

The body looks terrible right now; I'm so embarrassed to show it!
Soon it will be back to filler, and sanding for this guy.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I've had a few people ask about the side markers I'm using, and whether they
are DOT approved.

They are not DOT approved, but you need to add a red reflector to the rear
side of the car, and an orange reflector to the front side of the car.

When used in conjunction with an LED lamp, it should pass. Ask your certification
mechanic to be sure.

At this point, my plan is to add a red reflector lens to cover the LED light.
I'm not certain which will fit in the pocket area, but I may rig up a temp.
cover to get by the safety. We'll see what turns up this week.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
A bit more work on the tail-end. Nothing is welded, just staged for the photo shoot. The accumulator will have to be
repositioned, but otherwise things fit well. I'm thinking the tips are extended to a nice length; no change of heart after
seeing it next day.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've had a few people ask about the side markers I'm using, and whether they
are DOT approved.

They are not DOT approved, but you need to add a red reflector to the rear
side of the car, and an orange reflector to the front side of the car.

When used in conjunction with an LED lamp, it should pass. Ask your certification
mechanic to be sure.

At this point, my plan is to add a red reflector lens to cover the LED light.
I'm not certain which will fit in the pocket area, but I may rig up a temp.
cover to get by the safety. We'll see what turns up this week.
Hi Tino,

Have you consider something like these as side marker lights? Their DOT approved and might not be that expensive if you look in the right places, and you can be the first on the block in GTM land to have them :shifty:

Google Image Result for http://image.modified.com/f/features/17344765/0307_03z%252B2004_mini_cooper_s%252Bside_view.jpg

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
That's a great alternative! I'll look into them; hopefully the dealer
wont hang me too badly. Another source perhaps?

Today was spend completing the speaker box, and RH door.
This thing is removable for those long trips with passengers, or extra tall people.

This is not the correct size for the woofer, but what can you do when you are limited to a foot well?! There's always room to vent into the hood area, but
we;ll see how it sounds as-is.

The RH door also got mounted; still needs the striker, and latch bolted. Tomorrow the doors get aligned, and then I'll be able to start the scissor hinge!

Appraisal guy is coming next Friday, and Insurance is on stand-by. I have a great deal of interior, and electrical work ahead of me, however getting a
base-line value will get me rolling by mid June. Sorry Ron, I can't /wont rush this to win the dare, but it's getting close to street ready. Once the windshield
arrives, it's going for safety, the registration!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi Tino,

Have you consider something like these as side marker lights? Their DOT approved and might not be that expensive if you look in the right places, and you can be the first on the block in GTM land to have them
Ron,
Small world. So I'll lay claim to the first GTM. (Idea, to use these, came from Ken Roberts and his SL-C (GT40s.com - View Single Post - Ken's SLC build thread). These also become a "Mini" version of what GM has done on the new corvette.

I'm finishing up my addition of these right now. Rear was easy, front was a different story.

I've redone the front since these pictures, having them match the rear's spacing with the wheel well.

I've seen some nice marker additions, but they were either very expensive or didn't suit the look, in my opinion, of the lines of the GTM.

You have to select the right combo of years so the bulb ends up on the same side of the marker.

Tino,
Sorry for the slight hijack.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's a great alternative! I'll look into them; hopefully the dealer
wont hang me too badly. Another source perhaps?

Today was spend completing the speaker box, and RH door.
This thing is removable for those long trips with passengers, or extra tall people.

This is not the correct size for the woofer, but what can you do when you are limited to a foot well?! There's always room to vent into the hood area, but
we;ll see how it sounds as-is.

The RH door also got mounted; still needs the striker, and latch bolted. Tomorrow the doors get aligned, and then I'll be able to start the scissor hinge!

Appraisal guy is coming next Friday, and Insurance is on stand-by. I have a great deal of interior, and electrical work ahead of me, however getting a
base-line value will get me rolling by mid June. Sorry Ron, I can't /wont rush this to win the dare, but it's getting close to street ready. Once the windshield
arrives, it's going for safety, the registration!
I like the attitude...savour the journey and don't rush.
That said, get the damn thing on the road! Just kidding. I'm sure Ron will cut you some slack if your vids rock.

Let me know if you need some visuals for the interior or exterior.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Ash,

You know that I'll be calling if there's any sort of graphic work required.
My only short term interior mods include a brushed aluminum shift plate,
and a badge with the logo, and car number.

Maybe even a glove box on the RH dash as there is room back there..
What you can help me with is spelling, and grammar in my last post.

*spent completing
* then registration

:D

Big V, no worries, the info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ron,
Small world. So I'll lay claim to the first GTM. (Idea, to use these, came from Ken Roberts and his SL-C (GT40s.com - View Single Post - Ken's SLC build thread). These also become a "Mini" version of what GM has done on the new corvette.

I finishing up my addition of these right now. Rear was easy, front was a different story.

I've redone the front since these pictures, having them match the rear's spacing with the wheel well.

I've seen some nice marker additions, but they were either very expensive or didn't suit the look, in my option, of the lines of the GTM.

You have to select the right combo of years so the bulb ends up on the same side of the marker.

Tino,
Sorry for the slight hijack.
Hey V,

Okay I stand corrected and anoint you the first GTM builder to use those side marker lights, plus it shows that great minds do think alike :biggrinking:

They look great, along with the rest of the body work. Do you know what color that you want on it ?:001_smile:

Now back to the thread:

Hey Tino, tick, tock, tick, tock, remember the dare :devil2:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Hey Ron,

The appraisal has been booked! It will get written whether the sun shines,
or not. Are you getting scared? :devil2:

A few pics from last night; unfortunately nothing too interesting. Both doors
are closing nicely, but the gap spacing will be done once the body is mounted,
and scissor hinges are installed.

Door alignment with standard hinge. Ewww, look at those nasty sanding lines.
Rough cuts for the lower, side air inlets. Need to figure out how to channel
air to the rear brakes, or around engine.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey Ron,

The appraisal has been booked! It will get written whether the sun shines,
or not. Are you getting scared? :devil2:
Me scared? Nope not me, for I know Taz has your back, and I'm waiting to do the joke of how many Canadians does it take to finish a GTM on a double dog dare :shifty:

61 - 80 of 638 Posts