Factory Five Racing Forum banner

641 - 645 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
Most of the front end wiring has been removed, and not a moment too soon. Besides wanting to clean up the original wiring,
and matching fuse positions to functions, I've always wanted to re-locate or re-position the battery for easier access and removal.

As I removed the negative cables, it was apparent that my battery had slid backward. The scary part is that the painted frame
and design of the battery case saved me from absolute and inevitable damage.

[video=youtube;mzk9ZFQBkxU]

I'm getting a quote on new air vents for the windshield defrost. Draft one isn't bad, but I'll have to move
the screw holes inward so the heads are not exposed at the edge. If anyone likes the design and wants the
CAD file, I'll send it (Fusion - .F3D). I'm hoping to get a 3D print done by tomorrow for test fitting.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #643 (Edited)
Beeman is rubbing off on me, I'm cutting up my car! The center console section is getting dropped down
8 inches to fit a bigger LCD screen in place of the Double DIN unit.
consoleAfter.png

The shifter is lower by 5 inches as it sits. I'll have to stick the seat in there to get a feel for everything
before the welding begins.

If anyone wants some decent software for making wiring diagrams, give TinyCAD a try. It also does
simulation if you're doing some advanced projects. Digikey also has a wiring CAD, but it's only available
online. TinyCAD is not as pretty, but it will let you visualize the gauge, and also get the colour down
just like the vehicle wiring harness. You can move objects around, and the wiring will remain intact
which is nice.

Test fitting of the new vent design looks good. It's currently sitting on top of the existing
cover, but it will sit flush once screwed down. No more bent, aluminum! I think I'll get
them done with a Black, anodized finish?

A master kill-switch to go with the new wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #644 (Edited)
The new shifter position feels great. Aside from being a few inches further away from the
steering wheel (note to racers for the extra .020 of a second to reach the shifter), It's a wrap.
Now the fun begins glassing in the new screen. It will sit back about 2 inches, with a bit more
tilt toward the windshield. It gives me goose bumps thinking about the finished look.

I'm not even going to bother relocating the parking brake. I though it would look out of place,
but she looks good as-is. I'll just rotate it down a bit. The gap between the console and waterfall is gone too.
If anyone wants a turn stalk and wiper stalk, it's yours with shipping. I'm moving my lights and
wipers to the touchscreen/steering wheel buttons.

641 - 645 of 645 Posts