Factory Five Racing Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Traction control, race ABS plumbing, wiring (this thread ABS and Stability Control) and LS7 wiring finally done. Time to clean up dust and grime and put the new motor in the car, but first mount and plumb dry sump oil tank. Hopefully ready to fire up inside 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Dry sump tank mounted in the sidepod behind driver side fuel tank. I looked into fitting a larger volume dry sump tank but I ended up with the Peterson one that seems to be commonly used by other builders.

Note: There are other brands and places to put a tank, but if you want the tank in the sidepod, it can't be too tall, can't have a larger diam, and it has to be a tank that can split into two halves in order to even nestle it into place.

New motor and some components mock fitted. Sort of counting days now rather than weeks. The LS7 oil pan clears nicely, the C5 AC compressor fits good too, the Kooks headers still fit and can't wait to hear this with another 1k rpm vs the LS1 (after 500 miles mellow break-in driving). The CTVS alternator and belt routing should be a nice step up.

With the motor out, it was a good opportunity to add a few extra soundmats. Anything that can resonate or rattle will do so, if you let it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
A detail added some time ago, C6 carbon fiber mirrors. They require slightly different holes to be drilled in the door vs the C5 version, and even the mirrorglass shape is slightly different on C6 vs C5, so parts don't really carry over. Well worth the finished look. Seeing that window seal and visible rivets on the triangle plate, I'm looking forward to tidy up cosmetics as well, it's just one step at a time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
And here is another demo video of the Aircup system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Soon. Everything from hoses to shifter cables to harness have been rerouted and heat shielded to maximum extent out in the sidepods. The new intake will grab cool air through hatch "glass" = polycarbonate. I'll regret not doing a race rollcage while at it, bc it's built to be as reliable as an endurance racecar.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Getting close. The Mamo ported MSD intake needed us to cut into the panel below the window, but it’s worth a lot of tq/hp with big cam or cam and heads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
This went pretty well. The LS7 started on the first attempt, ran on gas pedal but wouldn't idle. No surprise with the tune coming from a different cam and different intake. That was two days ago and I haven't had a chance to get back to the car since, but late this afternoon I had an hour to jump on it again.

I was prepared with a new set of parameters today. I read up on two useful topics on the HP Tuners community board; how to do MAF tuning w HP Tuners and how to idle tune a LS motor with a large cam. So having learned the how, I went onto the how much and just based it on not going overboard, and some basic knowledge from tuning other project cars with AEM.
I flashed my best bet, reached in, turned the key, and.... The engine fired up, ran like it's never done anything else. Just stoked!

Time to button it up and put mellow miles on the motor before taking it to the dyno. I'm not the first and not the last to have a LS7, but it is an engine I have always kind of dreamed of having, some day, in some car. And here it is. It's just such an awesome motor! The cam is a RPM B3. The idle is definitely a lot more hot rod sounding than my personality but I picked it for good torque and that it pulls madly up towards 6800 rpm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This went pretty well. The LS7 started on the first attempt, ran on gas pedal but wouldn't idle. No surprise with the tune coming from a different cam and different intake. That was two days ago and I haven't had a chance to get back to the car since, but late this afternoon I had an hour to jump on it again.

I was prepared with a new set of parameters today. I read up on two useful topics on the HP Tuners community board; how to do MAF tuning w HP Tuners and how to idle tune a LS motor with a large cam. So having learned the how, I went onto the how much and just based it on not going overboard, and some basic knowledge from tuning other project cars with AEM.
I flashed my best bet, reached in, turned the key, and.... The engine fired up, ran like it's never done anything else. Just stoked!

Time to button it up and put mellow miles on the motor before taking it to the dyno. I'm not the first and not the last to have a LS7, but it is an engine I have always kind of dreamed of having, some day, in some car. And here it is. It's just such an awesome motor! The cam is a RPM B3. The idle is definitely a lot more hot rod sounding than my personality but I picked it for good torque and that it pulls madly up towards 6800 rpm.

It might just be me but I love the sound of that engine!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Long break with the GTM project. Racing season started and I've been busy with that. Have a little break now though and ready to finish up the GTM. Just as I was ready to take the GTM to the dyno a weakness made itself shown on the G50. The tabs that hold the clutch fork pivot shaft exhibited cracks and I learned that it is typical when putting a high force pressure plate on these gearboxes. So before breaking anything I cancelled the dyno, a planned track day, and then the car has been sitting since then.

Since the G50 6-speed has to come out for reinforcement of the pivot shaft tabs, I also made the call to just go with a G96.50 instead given the LS7 power and the fact that I am planning to use all the power. The G50 would hold up, especially with some gentle application of torque, but I think it will fare better with a LS3 or LS1 and to use for canyon drives, crusing, cars and coffee, whereas I like to go flat out on the racetrack.

So a G96.50 is on the way with shifter and cable kit, hope to have it up and running in about a month.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
G96.50 is in the car, oil cooler plumbed.
I installed GT2 clutch slave and fork the way 996 Turbo owners do it as a retrofit.
Shifter kit from Cableshift went in plug and play, just had to move a muffler stand on the passenger side a smige to the left to clear the fore/aft cable.
The lower pendlum weight on G96.50 shift arm needed to be moved to the outside to clear the back of the starter.
Rear trans mount fab only item left to be done. Should be on the road soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Front suspension turned out nice btw, everything fits pretty decently. Swaybar droplink angle looks big in the photo but is pretty vertical.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe hard to see from this angle, but I hope you have 1.5 x the diameter of the threaded area engaged on the turnbuckle for the sway bar. At least that was the rule of thumb I've always been taught.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Maybe hard to see from this angle, but I hope you have 1.5 x the diameter of the threaded area engaged on the turnbuckle for the sway bar. At least that was the rule of thumb I've always been taught.
I'd have to check to be sure but wouldn't leave it dangling without solid engagement. And it's part of the QRP kit for GTM they've been selling for a long time. Knock on wood has held up so far. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd have to check to be sure but wouldn't leave it dangling without solid engagement. And it's part of the QRP kit for GTM they've been selling for a long time. Knock on wood has held up so far. :)
I'm sure you are all over it ;), I just happen to notice because I was literally adjusting mine a couple weeks ago for clearance of the spring and to see if I needed shorter springs and a set of helper springs. I took your info on 7" springs and just got the helper springs in. Should have mine all set up in a week or two. I need to add another AC unit to my garage being here in S. FL LOL.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Dyno done.

Firewall had to be modified a little to fit the ported Mamo MSD intake and coming to the dyno, it was well worth it. This intake is supposedly the undisputed King of Intakes on LS7 and all I can say is wow - my car is yet another real world piece of proof.

Dyno Dynamics dynos are said to be heartbreaker dynos that read appr 8% low vs Dynojet, still got 585rwhp/495tq on CA 91 and safe margins.

·
Junior Charter Member
662 Posts
Nice! Did you sell the G50.20? I see those are going for like $16k right now!

Also, where did you get the G96.50 and how much was it?

The thought has crossed my mind to change transaxles in my GTM and if I can make money while doing it, that'd be a pleasant bonus!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts