Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
The reason I asked is because all of the Gen II GTMs that we've built here with the factory FFR fiberglass vent inserts installed have all run pretty hot.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I’ve heard that’s the case. The outside coolant pipe routing adds a lot of volume and also dissipates heat in a relatively open environment vs the tunnel and may be part of the solution. Also I have the Setrab 25-row oil cooler. Will report back when temps hit 90-100 in the summer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Man I love this car, how it drives, Rock steady. Great dampers are truly key for uneven roads. And for those who didn’t already know this, the Kooks exhaust note is nothing short of glorious. I return home only thinking about when I will get a chance to go for another drive.

Lots of little stuff to do though for comfort, sealing little gaps, adding sound deadening in the right places, then splitter, diffuser and more camber for track duty. Lovely project. And she’s still in primer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Shane, I forgot to mention on more thing: I have placed my radiator more flat (rear is higher than original position by ~2.5" and I have a curved aluminim guide seamlesly connecting from the bottom front of the radiator box to the back / bottom of the radiator in a nice wide curve shape.

The (unproven) theory I have is that the airflow now gets curved up and through the radiator as a flow, rather than hitting the radiator in shear and possible stalling in the back of the radiator box with potential aero chaos and pressure build up.. If there's resistance in the box it can of course go through the radiator however it has to fight new air coming in as well, basically just adding a more pressurized zone that in turn would make some air choose a path other than the grille inlet instead of into the grille.

If this theory is correct it'd mean there is more air flowing into the grille and up through the radiator and no stalled air or pressure build up except the resistance of the radiator fins. I imagined trying to flow water at high rate through the grille and out the hood to come up with something that'd make the best flow with least resistance, but CFD simulation would prove this right or totally wrong. Anyway, as mentioned before I will follow up when the summer comes around.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts