Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Charter Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the latest on the GTF? FFR going to release something this year? I need a new project!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have been waiting for updates as well. I think I saw a tease from FFR that there might be something big coming down the pipeline, so who knows. It will be years before I am in a position to build another car, but it's intriguing.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,534 Posts
Nice...

Thanks for posting, a very interesting read.

Regards, Rick.

One silly question. How do you shape the body from the initial CNC rendering of foam to the smoothed body and maintain the symmetry of the design shape? It appears to the uneducated that the final shape is again from hand work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
One silly question. How do you shape the body from the initial CNC rendering of foam to the smoothed body and maintain the symmetry of the design shape? It appears to the uneducated that the final shape is again from hand work.
We did this for our Formula SAE race car by using the marine boat hull method. You 'slice' the 3D CAD model and print outline sections, transfer each slice's shape to plywood, and assemble them in series with foam sandwiched between the plywood sheets. Then you sand down the foam and the flat edges of plywood to match the contour you're looking for. The plywood keeps you from departing too far from the original shape.

It's probably more automated these days, this was back in '89.

·
Charter Member
6,157 Posts
Hey initiator, that's how I did our Formula SAE car back in 95'. Cool project. That project is probably why I race cars today.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,889 Posts
Quick looking through that link, I believe the foam is shaped slightly undersized, then the brown layer is applied and that is shaped to the final size. I know 35 yrs ago I was working on a race car that needed wider fenders. They had a body guy come over and he added spray foam to the body. Cut it to a slightly undersized shape using one of those cheese grater hand files. Then he slathered on some standard body filler. He shaped that w/ regular sand paper, primed it, and painted it. Then he made the molds by laying fiberglass over the painted shape. I imagine the brown we see in that link about the GTf is an upgraded version of body filler. Although I couldn't find this detail in the link, I am pretty sure they use the cnc to shape the brown layer also.

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
That link is over a year old and I can tell you the new car looks nothing like that.

It looks much MUCH better!

:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I picked up my roadster the week after that car was revealed. As stated above, Dave and his team had already changed what they had in mind. In the year since that time, I'm sure they've made even more changes that I am unaware of. Looking forward to seeing the final design. It should be pretty amazing from what Dave envisioned.

Scott

·
3,582 Posts
I saw the reviewed/ reformed car... it’s sooooo much cooler!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts