1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
If it wasn't restored why is there a "NAPA belt/hose" hose on picture 35 ???? (the one with the intake shot), I didn't know ol shel used parts from napa ????

But it's still a great car !!!!

Nick

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can you say "Rust Bucket" Did you look closely at the pictures of the bottom? If the subframe looks that bad on the outside it looks worse on the inside. I know where there is a car almost like this one with the rear spring mounts ready to fall out. The car looks great on the outside but look closer.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not have anything to do with the sale of this car. Just hate to see people cut it down who really don't know what they are looking at.

CNGreen,

Yup, I'll take that bet :D

Canuck Cobra,

Replacement parts (hoses, belts, etc) are not part of an original car, at 25,000 miles, all of the pieces should have been replaced at least once. For concourse, those items would need to be replaced with NOS or quality reproductions......But most people who owned these cars for a long time, and had not showed them do not feel the need for said parts.

Bobzffr,

Those certainly look rust free to me...Nice dry,non scaling, surface rust only...

Bill S.

PS: But what would I know, I'm only an MCA Gold Card Judge

PSS: My prediction is a car that will sell for over $125,000 all in the last few minutes of the auction.....We'll see how that estimate goes........

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
I just saw a GT500 that was pretty much a rat compared to this one and it still went for $85,000. Mrmustang's comments are pretty accurate.

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Looks pretty Awesome to me. If I had the $$$$, I think I'd buy it.

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
mrmustang,

That car was restored. Look at the exhaust. Look at the engine bay. Look at the door jamb. I know what I'm looking at. The car has new paint and new exhaust at 25K?

I will say this. It's probably is an original Shelby, and worth a lot.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Undercarriage is indeed original to the car....Mileage, I personally know of two right here in Morris County NJ with less mileage than this one has...One has been repainted (again he states it's the original color, nor original paint), the other has not been....No, this car has seen paint work, without a doubt...But to throw a coat of paint on a car is not by any sense of the imagination considered "restoring it"....Although on Ebay, quite a few sellers state it that way...No, what I see here is a nice original car that has had some detail and paint work done to bring it back to it's former glory........

Bill S.

PS: You really want to get picky, the fuel line is not original either, neither is the blacked out trunk area......The car is still a low mileage documented Shelby GT500, any way you look at it, a rare piece of machinery....

Originally posted by CNGreen:
mrmustang,

That car was restored. Look at the exhaust. Look at the engine bay. Look at the door jamb. I know what I'm looking at. The car has new paint and new exhaust at 25K?

I will say this. It's probably is an original Shelby, and worth a lot.

·
3,798 Posts
There is a 1968 GT500 in my garage keeping my kit company during the build. I am hoping that some of the karma will rub off onto the roadster. It has 50,753 miles and the origional interior. The only thing done to the motor has been to put hardened valve seats in the heads. It is a 4 speed car. White with Saddle interior. It is deffinatly an origional Shelby complete with documentation, it is my retirement account for now.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I'm with Bill, that car is sweet and in great shape from the looks of it. I have seen some posers with a thin shell of glamour over hideous rust and chunks of bondo. This Shelby does not look like one of those!

·
Anti-Venom
1,137 Posts
I'm not a Ford expert or know what kind of money they go for, but for that kind of money I would want more than just a repaint. They didn't even take the time to paint the bottom of the rockers and rear quarters. It also looks like they painted over rust on the floor boards. It may not be rusted through but is rusted. I would wonder what other short cuts have been taken. It wouldn't have taken much more time to do it right. It is a nice car though but for that kind of money I expect it done right.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
guys, guys, guys.....you need to keep a few things in mind here when looking at the pics. #1. Cars that were built back in these years pretty much started rusting the minute they left the factory. With 25k on the car, and the age of the car, certain things would need to be replaced no matter how well you take care of it. Stuff would simply rot (rubber) or rust (exhaust) do to age. What a serious collector looks for is how much it would take to get it back to original. The repaint does detract from the value of the car for some people, and who really knows by the picks if it was a total repaint. Some folks would rather see it not repainted at all and stay with damaged paint or faded paint. Some people go as far as trying to recreate Detroits terrible workmanship in the late 60's through the 70's on repaints and keep the runs, drips, and missing of paint in areas of the car to keep it as original as possible. I'm sure Bill has had a few of these that he has tried to judge and these are the types of cars that win. Anyone see what the car is up to now?

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
US $105,600.00 on 26 bids.

Oh BTW I'm no collector. If mrmustang says it's worth it, then I guess it is.

I wouldn't buy it though. But that's me. I'd rather build a cobra AND a GT40 AND...

Or maybe one of those beautiful Kirkhams...

Or on the other hand I'd be only ~40K away from a NEW GT40!

·
Senior Charter Member
381 Posts
US $125,000 and at least 2 people bidding.

MrMustang was too conservative there.

Any new guesses to the highest bid?

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Oh, what I would do for a car like that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts