Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I bought the Boss 429 from has this in his shop also. It's a little ruff but it's a real one. It's been up on the rack for years.

This is in the bay next to the Mustang. Can you guess what it it?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,618 Posts
The GT350 is definately a 66. I believe that is a Stanley Steamer next to it.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
i'm with Gordon on this one: 1917 model 730 Stanley Steamer.

...not sure about those rear springs though....

·
Senior Charter Member
447 Posts
Looks like a 1985 Toyota regular cab pickup. The white shell looks like an aftermarket mod, though, which would diminish the value. What do I win?

Brent

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
The front grill's not right. Shouldn't have the Big horse in the middle. Should have a fender badge horse asymetrically lined up on the LH side of the grill opening.
Clone?
The brake scoop, side windows and GT-350 stripes were all available from the Shelby catalog back then. Believe me, I know. I had a '66 fastback I put the windows in.
Of course, knowing Shelby, he probably produced some '66's with that grill when he ran out of badges on the shelf!

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Senior Charter Member
818 Posts
Distance in between the stripes isn't correct, looks to wide. I don't think Shelby's ever came with a Horse in the grill and from the looks of the gas cap it looks like a standard 65, Shelbys had a GT-350 gas cap...and I don't see the Aluminum oil pan...

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
It appears to be a phony. The grill is wrong, ornamentation is missing, rear valance is wrong, gas cap is wrong. And why would anyone put those wheels on a "real" GT350?

There was a whole article in Mustang Monthly about the differences between "real" and "clone" GT's and GT350's a while back. It's not hard to make one, but you have to pay attention to detail.

I agree the stipes look wrong: wrong color and off center in the rear. The grille is a '66. If it's a Shelby, it will have a Shelby VIN on the left front inner fender, rivited over the FoMoCo VIN. That's the one thing hard to fake.

Allan

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Why its a fake snake and a horseless carriage...
Did I win??

·
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, not a steamer. The GI that had the mustang beat the hell out of it. Not the right motor, not the right wheels. The guy never said it was a real one, I just figured it was because of all the other stuff he has is, and he normaly never buys anything that's not realy worth anything.

A hint on the old car, The first letter of it's name is O. And no it's not an Oldsmobile.

·
2,372 Posts
On the old car isn't that an ignition advance/retard lever on the steering wheel?
Would a steam car use an Ing. adv./ret.?

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Have to agree on the ? shelby? Standard Mustang grille, late 60's early 70's Cragar rims, wrong hood pins, standard gas cap....

As for the other car, looks like a 1923 Oakland to me....

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Originally posted by mrmustang:
Have to agree on the ? shelby? Standard Mustang grille, late 60's early 70's Cragar rims, wrong hood pins, standard gas cap....

As for the other car, looks like a 1923 Oakland to me....

Bill S.
While we are picking at details, they are Keystones, not Cragars

·
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrmustang wins the cupy doll, It is a 23 Oakland :D

I asked him today and it is not a real one, I think he said it had a straight six in it! I told him to take the GT350 stickers off right now

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Ding,ding,ding......

Sorry Larry, I should have specified, but since I deal with Cragar on a semi daily basis, it's tough to split them apart..

Bill S.

Originally posted by lyonmt:
Which is now owned by Cragar, nevermind.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
Larry,

Next time I stop over there can I please take a close look at your friends barn.... Maybe he has a 427SO in a corner that you missed!

All kidding aside, is this guy close to you? Or was this the friend you were visiting in Frankfurt when I dropped by? I would love to take a look at the fastback and some other goodies he has hiding there.

I still owe you dinner, too! What about early in June, are you going to be there?

Lukas

·
7,097 Posts
Judging by the big pink swim ring, I was thinking it was Chitty Chitty Bang bang!

·
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The guys up in Hanau. You would not beleave what this guys got stashed away, For race cars he's got an altered with some huge pontiac motor, a 68 camaro with a 500 cu.in. aluminum BB, a short wheel base rail, A long wheel base rail, a 37 Fiat bodied altered with a small block with Hilborn fuel injection. He had one of Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins Mazdas but his son crashed it at Nurburgring and almost killed him. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts