Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this in my build thread but thought it should be here as well. Last week I made my own air splitter for the front grill. I wanted it close to original but I want to mount it different. Here is a picture of an original:

Note that it just has a small tab bolted to the grill opening. I want to make brackets that will bolt to the frame behind the body so it doesn't stress the fiberglass. I may make it bolt to the quick jack bolts. I ordered some trim molding and clips from wolfsburgwest.com for the front edge. It should look great but I will need to shorten it as the trim is for a VW Bug running board.

It's really a simple piece but I wanted to give it enough strength so it didn't flop around. I ordered some 0.050 6160 aluminum so I could bend it in my 30" HF break. I started with a simple template and cut out the aluminum and added relief holes and lines for bending.

The break is supposed to bend up to .050 aluminum but maybe not 6160. I really couldn't get it to bend at all. I ended up getting out the hammer and dolly and went old school hand formed. The aluminum is really easy to work with compared to steal. I put two bends to wrap around the front and bent the sides down. I also added a bend at the back to make a Gurney Flap (a small flat tab projecting from the trailing edge of a wing at 90 degrees). This flap up should add down force to the aerodynamics. I'm not sure it will make any difference but I wanted a bend in the back to add strength and you won't see the back unless you are almost on ground looking up.

I still need to do some final work to get the rest of the waves out of the sides and back. I will also make some pieces for the inside to double the sides where it will bolt to the bracket and wrap them around the front corners for some more strength. I will cut slots in the front for the trim clips. After it is all done it will be painted body color. Really happy how it turned out.

Rod

·
CSX2375R
806 Posts
Splitter is supposed to have an arch.....................
Need to make the arch then shrink the ends.....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Splitter is supposed to have an arch.....................
Need to make the arch then shrink the ends.....
I have seen some made with an arch but from the few pictures I have seen of originals including the one above it's not much if any. By shrink the ends to you mean the vertical sides so the top surface has a hump? That is what I have seen but wouldnt that create lift not down force?

·
Charter Member
1,604 Posts
Rod,
they did have an arch, a very slight one but don't worry about it. I put one on mine, but once installed you'll never notice it or will anyone else. :D

John O

·
Registered
126 Posts
... That is what I have seen but wouldnt that create lift not down force?
In spite of what some people think that they experience, the splitter has little or no effect on downforce. Flow inside the nose is slow and very turbulent because the air is almost completely stopped by the radiator, and eddies come off the edges of the opening. Comp cars took it out because it was functionally useless.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I am not expecting any down force help from the splitter but I don't want to make anything worse. It is really just cosmetic for me. I will think about the arch and if the effort is worth it. I don't have a Shrinker/Stretcher so I would have to use other manual methods.
Rod

·
CSX2375R
806 Posts
Just leave it, will be cool either way.
They picture of the original looks maybe flatter than it was or it was a repop in itself. no matter, looks great.

·
CSX2375R
806 Posts
I have a few pics of a concourse correct street cars splitter...........

Email me and I will send, not sure the red car depicted was correct at restoration ......

[email protected]

·
CSX2375R
806 Posts
Here is a teaser............ Note, bit more arch than one would expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is much more than expected arch. I'll send you an email. I'll take any others you have.
Rod

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I completed more for the air splitter. I decided not to try and incorporate the arch like the originals. (Thanks for the pictures btw) In order to incorporate the arch I would need to start over with my design and I think the benefit for me is not enough for the effort. If I did another one I would mount it different, more like the originals. But, like the chrome strip on the front 98% of people wont know the difference.

More metal work and block sanding and I have it pretty strait. I made some doubling plates for the sides. These will serve as reinforcement for the front corners as well as the mounting points on the sides.

Once everything was fitted I pulled it apart, sanded, cleaned and shot with SEM Metal Etch Primer. I wanted to get the primer behind the doubler plates so I did this before riveting. Then refitted with clecos after primer. You can see the doubler plate on the side and it wraps around the front.

I wanted flush look so I went with solid aluminum 1/8" flush rivets. Using a bucking bar and impact rivet gun I hammered in the rivets. I have limited experience with this so I practiced quite a bit on scraps. I think they still needed to go down more but I tried to balance how much marring on the front verses how much impact on the back.

After all rivets where done I sanded, cleaned, and primed the bare areas again with metal etch primer. Then I put on two coats of build primer. After drying I started wet sanding to get more level and fill some. Not sure if I didn't wait long enough before sanding or if I didn't sand and prep the aluminum enough but not good... A small area on the bottom started to lift. Before I knew it I have an area about 6 inches across that totally pealed up. All the edges and the top side seem very solid so maybe I didn't sand the bare aluminum enough in that area. I think I'm going to quit while I'm behind and have Ken (SRP) try to salvage/redo before paint.
Rod

·
Registered
18 Posts
In spite of what some people think that they experience, the splitter has little or no effect on downforce. Flow inside the nose is slow and very turbulent because the air is almost completely stopped by the radiator, and eddies come off the edges of the opening. Comp cars took it out because it was functionally useless.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't know the velocity through the nose opening, but it seems like it would be much slower than vehicle speed. Even a pretty descent size wing only produces 100-200 pounds of down force at 100 MPH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts