Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had started this morning with a drive to Mountain View, CA about 8 miles north of my house. In attendance were a few SPF's, a Cobra that sported a custom made body over an SPF frame (the rear fenders were huge); the car looked familiar and then I realized it was a car out of Ken Pike's shop while I was fitting my painted body on the chassis. It still had the "ROCK ME" start button on the dash. It was definitely a different projcet car with a huge super charger up front and a NACA dust for the inlet where a Cobra emblem would normally sit; he's hoping for about 1,000HP.

After breakfast I "thought" a few guy's were going to Santana Row to view Ferrari's of every model, Lambo's, Porsches, Lotuses, etc.

The turn out was good with a BB512 (rather rare), about 3-4 F430's, my friends 360 Modena, a 550 Maranello, a Lotus Turbo Esprit, a bunch of Porsche GT/GTS/GT2/GT3's, Lotus Elises, some M3's, about 4 Lambo Gillardo's(sp) and then just the lone Factory Five of mine. Oh there was this very beautifully restored and modded Mazda RX2. I commented on his sano restoration and the lines on this old sedan is actually much nicer than I had ever thought it could look. And the tatoo'd guy with the GT500E from Texas. Just great to be around some rare hardware.

After an hour, someone in the Lambo approached me and he said I looked familiar; it turns out he was in the same middle school in S.F. as I was back in 72'!!!!!! Him and his buddy both had Perlecent Yellow Gillardo's. They oraganized a run through the town of Saratoga and up Hwy. 9 to Hwy. 35 and then a scenic run to Hwy. 84's at Alices Restaurant. Then finally a drive to Hwy. 92 where people can part ways.

I have never been part of a caravan where most cars were worth more than my little kit. The lead car was one of the Yellow Lambo's, followed closesly by a loud Neon Green Labmo, the 2nd Yellow Lambo, and an Infinity G35. Behind me was the Red Ferrari 512 BB, a Black Ferrari F-430, and fnally a Red Ferrari 360 Modena.

Up Hwy. 9 were the songs of V12's and V8's. People just stared as this line of 'exotics' strolled through the windy road. We got held up in traffic for most of the drive up but the scenery was great and having a lot of shade helped me a lot (no AC for me.) At the top of Hwy 9 and Hwy 35. We took a short break, then proceeded North to Hwy 85. We now had the full caravan and nobody in front of us. The Labmo's decided to really let loose and I followed behind; these things are monsters; I'm guessing they're about 600HP ??? While the got me on accleartion, most of them backed off in the turns, but not me. I'd be right on their tails on every turn... and my suspension isn't even dialed yet. The FFR held it's own against cars cost 3x more than me. The driver of the 512BB later told me he simply loved the sound of my 347. Another biker chick looked at all of our cars at a gas station but strolled up to me with her boyfriend and said, she liked my car better than any of the Ferrari's present. That made me feel really good.

At every rest stop, people couldn't stop taking pics of this high-octane sight. About midway between Hwy. 84 and Hwy 92, there was some huge camping thing or ???? and people were parked on either side of Hwy 35 for easily 4 miles to go to wherever they were going to (some concert????) So we all had to go about 10mph for those 4 miles. People just stared and pointed at this train of exotics.

One things I've noticed during the drive was how much the road communicates to the manual steering. It was initially unsettling going at speeds with this fast moving caravan and feeling just a bit unstable (I did not get a realignment after receving the new Koni's.) Yet I could figuratively "point and shoot" the car in the direction I wanted and it just went there. But it's just all the feeling of the road is different than with a car with power steering and softer suspension like my VW.

Over all, driving this thing in the mountains at the speeds we were going was something to behold. I suggest everyone get into something like this; just a bunch of guy's/enthusiasts having fun like a pack of dogs running wild and free.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,747 Posts
Great story.Hope to do something similiar around here someday!

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Sorry, had to take a moment and mop up the drool :D .

Sounds like a fantastic day with a great group. Hope you got some pics.

JT

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
Sounds like a great time. Wish I could have been there, wish I was working on getting my car finished rather than painting my parents crapy house. I find Santana Row to be a really weird place but its usually good for seeing some cars and girls that are out of my league!

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have not pic... not yet at least. I know the guy's in the lambo did some photos or videos from the front. I'll try to find their site and post links.

Oh, at BAji's, theres a number of pictures here:

http://www.racesystems.com/bajis/

The titanium Cobra with the NACA duct is the guy who took the pictures; not sure what his dyno test was today. I'll ask.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
289FIA, yes, the caravans are the best. Our Ct Caravan to the Open House was a blast. We did a two-car winery trip a couple of weeks ago with Toolerwayne and his FE-equipped FFR. Cool hearing the two FEs running together through the hills when you hear the harmonics. These types of trips are a blast.
On the steering note, yes, I have noticed that you really have to pay attention with the steering. These things turn very fast and you can practically "think" them into lane changes so focus is key.

-Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.