Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share this what a great weekend we had here in Atlanta.

SATURDAY:

It stated out on Saturday with an Italian car show. There were over 20 Ferrari's, several Lambo's, Pantra's, and the usual Fiats, Lancias, Alfas, etc.

Some of the best cars were a pair of new V-10 Lamborghini Gallardo's. That has to be one of the best designs of today's cars. There was also a new Lamborghini Murcielago V-12 which is a beautiful car, but I really liked the Audi designed Gallardo's cockpit. It is second to none.

My dream car from my childhood, a Lamborghini Countach was there in the proper RED! It was mint and boy did it make me want that car again. But the inside is so basic and repair bills are too much to take at my age!

I have always had a love for Ferrari's. I've owned two older 308's which were beautiful, but a pain in the butt. I've been longing to find a deal on an F355, but they just don't seem to be dropping in price. The 360's just don't do it for me for some reason. They look to big and bulky. I know they are a better car in every way, but I still would rather have a 355. I loved just looking at them in person.

There were a couple of million dollar Ferrari's, including a LB 275 GT which looked brand new. What a beautiful machine. Several of the older Ferrari's looked to be a great condition and there is nothing like the sound of a small displacemnet V12! What a sound!

The Pantera's are very nice, but they all have been hacked on by now. That's what happens to a $30k exotic. Too many people can buy them and do as they wish; which should be left alone IMO.

Fiat's and Lanica's are not my thing, so I have nothing to report.

One thing that was out of place was a CAV GT-40. They only let Italian cars park inside the show area, so how did he get in? And the guys window sign said, "1966 FORD GT-40". No where did he tell people it was a CAV, but I knew what it was after seeing Wayne's car. A guy over heard me telling my wife about the car and when I told the guy its a kit car, the owner came walkinh over and said, "No, it's not a kit car, this is a production car". Whatever dude!

The food was great and I got to meet some very cool people. My father-in-law knew one guy with two cars and the guy was fun to talk to. He writes for Sports Car Market so I had to dig him about Keith Martin's comments about kits cars in his rag. I hope Keith gets a ride in a spec racer one day, then he'll get it.

SUNDAY:

Sunday we visited FlashBack Motorworks for a Porsche Club event and had a blast. If you live near Atlanta you owe it to yourself to over and bug the guys from FlashBack. They will be happy to show you around the 68,000 sq ft building and you will see some very rare automobiles including an orignal Ferrari Daytona Coupe, a 512BB Boxer, several old Jags, Austins, Healys, Porsches, and even some great muscle cars like an orginal GTO, Cuda, and more.

I had the pleasure of being offered my first ever ride in what I though was a million dollar Jaguar Type-C. The sales guy is really cool. He and I had lunch a few months ago after a sprited mountain drive in which he and I dusted several other exotics and left them out to dry. My little old Corvette 6-speed was out running a Ferrari F355, 360 and severa Lotus' and he was trailing my ass in a full blown race prep's Alfa. That guy can drive! (Kids: Do not attempt. Closed course, professional drivers!) hahaha

Anyway, he was tooling around the lot in this all aluminum 50's Jag C-Type right hand drive and in front of about 50 Porsche owners he said in his British voice, "Come on, drive it! You need this for your garage." I'm thinking, he must have me confused with someone with a REAL Cobra?

Without saying no, I jumped in the right side drivers seat and got a quick lesson on what all the switches, gauges, etc all mean. I've driven one right hand car before, a lowly Jaguar E-Type many years ago. No problem. First, turn the fuel pump on. Now turn the key to on. Hit the started button and "Vvvvvrroooome" the 3.5L engine fires to life. Wow! What a sound! Blip the throttle and push the clutch in; now shift to first, and roll out as quietly as possible to not upset the Porsche car show (hahaha). Put the goofy googles on.

On the road the Jaguar felt very solid and had so much power that I was really scared I would spin the skinny 1950's style racing tires. No problem. (Read: Professional Driver On Closed Course. Do not attempt. :rolleyes: ) I nailed it and made quick use of the first three gears and quickly hit the brakes and realized just how far brakes have come in 50 years. The car was so fun and I wondered what lucky person will get to own this car.

Back at the show, the sales person revieled that the car is a REPLICA made over 20-30 years ago in Belgium. The chassis is from a '61 Jag and the engine is a real C-Type engine. The car has no paint, but who needs it on an all aluminum body? The car is a perfect replica of the $1,000,000+ C-Type Jags, of which only 57 were made. The only updates were the front coil overs and better brakes.

The owner is if having Flashback sell the car for $120,000. Which I think is a bargan. It should be priced near $150,000 IMO and from looking at the net for simular cars. What a wonderful car.

Back to the Porsche's.

One really cool and rare 911 was painted Gulf blue. This is the color used on the Ford GT40 and Porsche 917 racing cars of the 60's. It was the only street production Porsche to be made in this color and was given to the owner of Gulf Oil by Porsche. It looked like new.

A very nice Porsche 928 GTS with just a few thousand miles was about the nicest "Risky Business" car on the planet. Those cars look bad!

There were so many nice Porsches, including some older 356's and spiders. The older 75-79 Porsche 930 Turbo's are so nice and the whale tail means business. What a treat to see these cars.

I looked over several of the "other" cars in the shop and ran across a red Ferrari Daytona going through a re-do, a very nice Ferrari Lusso which looked new as it did in the 60's, and several nice MGs, Trimphs, Austin Healys, Minis, and such.

What a great weekend! I just had to share!

- Bill

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Bill, awesome story.... but WHERE are all the pics??
Ken

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Camera? What's a camera? We forgot it BOTH days!!!! hahahaha

I'll see if anyone else has pics.

·
Hmmmm
646 Posts
Bill, I love the Countach too. There are 2 "REAL" ones over here in Athens. A maroon 85 with like 6000 miles, just took the plastic off the seats. Last year of the Webers. This guy is my daughters' teachers' stepdad. The other one is a white 89, that guy grives the heck out of that car. I havent had a chance to go for a ride yet.

Funny-I was at a Chuck-E-Cheese birthday with my daughter. We went outside to see the white one that just pulled up. He was meeting his buddies, who were going in as well. The car was out in the parking lot, and after they said hello's or whatever the two guys walked over to the curb where I was, waiting on the guy to park the Lambo. As they are walking up, the one is saying to the other "I'd rather have the blue and white cobra.."(mine) hehe

Kipper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts