Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WITHOUT STRIPES!!

Presenting F5R1004833RD. A MKIII that arrived in my garage on June 1, 2005.

Funny thing is, Kouros got his about the same time, and I have been happily watching his progress, and saw his graduation pics yesterday. Great looking car, Kouros!

The astute among you will notice a couple of small items left to be completed, but, I am about 98% there. Been driving her since Christmas, and having a ball. In fact, I could have graduated sooner, but I put off some things so that I could get several good Cobra fixes.

I got the Gas N Performance pipes last week and mounted them. Added the splitter and quick jacks over the weekend, so the time has arrived.

The car has a fully independent suspension with pin drive wheels. 500# springs up front, 600# in the rear. Otherwise the suspension is stock. The ride is far superior to what I thought it would be. Tracks like an arrow and it feels as solid as anything I have ever driven.

The engine is a 427W, rated at 495HP by the builder, Southern Automotive in McDonough, Ga. It is backed by a Ram clutch, and Tremec T56 transmission. The final gear ration is 3.27. Wilwood pedals push the hydraulics, and the binders and discs are stock 95 Mustang up front and stock 90 Tbird in the rear. With this much horsepower, I am fully aware of how quickly this thing could kill me, so I am very easy on the throttle, especially at lower speeds and gears, but I still wear a grin like a mad hyena most everywhere I drive.

The only real custom item of note is the sub-console I added below the main dash. It houses 12V power points, a hazard warning switch, MSD ignition kill switch, a Flaming river 'mushroom' battery disconnect, and a brake portioning valve plumbed to the rear discs.

Many thanks to:

1. My Lord and Saviour, Jesus, for His Grace.
2. My lovely wife Gail, who suffered the late nights and is now enjoying many brisk rides.
3. So many of you that helped me with things technical, inspired me with great humor or thought provoking prose.
4. Factory Five, for making my dream come true.
and in order of expenditure;
Southern Automotive, for an awesome power plant.
Worship One Concepts (NCPainter) for an outstanding paint job. (People marvel at it)
Fortes for the tranny, and many other parts
Vintage Wheels, for vintage wheels:)
Breeze Auto, with whom I would have spent more had I known what I know now.
Gas N Performance for giving me a chance to have hearing when I get old.
Several other vendors on this forum got a chunk of my income, and all did a great job of providing the parts or service I needed.
Summit and NAPA's stock prices will go down now that I am done.

Ok, enough of that. Here is the car...

Another angle...

The cockpit...

And the heart of the beast...

For those of you planning, dreaming, building, or considering, keep those dreams alive, you will get there one day, and it is every bit as much fun as it looks.

These cars are the real deal.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Very nice Rick, I love the look of the splitter in the nose! Very clean without stripes too.
You did good

Skip

·
Junior Charter Member
3,886 Posts
That looks really wonderful, I like it without the stripes. I had to go back and check ou tthe rollbar after looking at the third pic, it almost looks as if it matched the paint in that photo. Wonderful attention to detail in the cockpit!

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
Wow, what a great car. Enjoy.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yes, the color, I meant to do that.

NC Painter sprayed it. Dave is a great guy and did a fine job.

Lexus Indigo Ink Pearl, Dave added some pearl to the mix, so it is not an 'off the shelf' color.

It is beautiful in the sun.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Dustin, I just noticed where you are from. My company headquarters are in Waukesha, I get up there from time to time. GE Healthcare.

Take care

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
VERY nice. I see you give credit where credit due, good work.

·
Charter Member
215 Posts
Congrats Rick!
Beautiful car. The splitter is a really nice detail to set off a street 427. Is that a DW piece or custom fab?

Cheers

Steve

·
1,569 Posts
Nice looking ride. Gotta love them blue cars.

·
OT Moderator
14,364 Posts
Looks Awesome Rick, SWEET RIDE!!! Tell me more about the Gas N' Side Pipes. Are you happy with them? How is the sound compared to the stock side pipes. Loudness?

Just want to know if you think they are worth the $$$.

Rob.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Congratulations Rick. Love the blue. Love the "no stripes" look. And the car sits nice. You've enjoyed the build,now enjoy the ride!
Baron

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Steve, it is DWC splitter. Nice piece and fit perfectly.

Larry, The are vintage wheels. 15x8 up front (I think) and 15x10 in the rear. The fronts are 235/60 and the rears are 295/50.

Rob, I am very happy with the new pipes. I will do a post specifically on them in a week or so. I plan to do some side by side comparisons with the OEM pipes vs the Gas N' pipes. I will do db measurements at a handful of RPMs and post a video from inside the cockpit with a studio mic. I will record some driving over a short ride, again with the new and old pipes. I would say they are worth the money, even with the short time I have driven with them. There are pros and cons to them, and I will post at length on that when I get the testing done.

Y'all take care

·
Junior Charter Member
43 Posts
I just have to congratulate you to a very beautiful car! Incredible nice! Is it a little lower than most other cars? I think the tires looks absolute perfect!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts