Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I orginaly posted this in the 4.6 forum but a friend said that I should have posted in the general roadster forum:

It' official!!
I have to thank my family for letting me do this and mostly my wife Laura who not only enjoyed the build but also accidentily crashed my 1997 mustang cobra at the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet Il. which led to us getting the FFR, the '97 became the doner. I also had alot of help from my good friend and business partner Kirk and my father-in-law Don.

In reality I have been driving the car since Aug. '07 as a go-kart, I spent about the whole 07-08 winter doing the body work. A couple of the things I did extra were widened the rear fender area to accomodate a sn95 axle and 315 35 17 tires, it is about 3 1/2" wider. Also the hood scoop is turned around I felt there would be a small areo gain and reduce under hood air pressure at high speeds in effort to reduce some lift. third we trimmed the body to accomodate the Kirky race seat instead of bending the seat.

The car is amazing to drive! the acceleration is mind numbing, initially with 275 tires all around it was fun but very loose. I borrowed some 315s and it was way better still loose but fast, that was before the body work, I knew I would need to do some extra work on the body to make it happen but I felt it was worth it.

This Summer was the first full race season we had alot of fun and it went by very quick. I race with Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs in their HSAX and solo race with Chicago region SCCA and Salt Creek Sports Car Club. I was very successful with the car winning the MCSCC AR championship and also SCCA XP. There were a couple of times I managed to get FTD and/ or Fastest fenderd car. The FFR is the most fun car I have ever driven and I feel I get just a little better evey time I drive it.

I took it to the drag stip to see how it would do and had a real good time. Met some other cobra owners there and they had some very cool and fast cars. On some old road race tires it was hard to launch due to significant wheel hop. That said, I was impressed to see it ran a 1.6 60' time and 12.0 at 112. I have heard may times that horsepower = MPH, That is so true the 97 Mustang cobra ran a 2.1 60' and 13.2 at 108 the only changes I made to the motor were the electric water pump and the dry sump (4 mph?).

some more pictures here:
http://www.ffcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=1&ppuser=11089

The run-down:
Engine
4.6 DOHC '97
Avaid dry sump appox 4 gal. of oil All lines Steel braided teflon
remote cooler
Meziere electric water pump
ATI superdamper with gilmer drive for oil pump
fidanza flywheel and Centerforce dual fiction clutch/pressure plate

The rest
power steering
PBR brakes with abs and in-car ajustable bias
275 40 r17 on a 9" wheel in front
315 35 r17 on a 10 1/2" wheel rear
3 link rear standard on SR
3.73 gear with a Torsen T2R diff. Mac diff. cover
Diff. cooler
Bilstines with 600lbs. front and 500lbs. rear no sway bars
Autometer Guages w/memory
Removable steering wheel
22 gal fuel cell
Kirky seats
Lots of other little stuff

With 20 gal. gas 4 gal. oil and me 220 lbs it weighs 2525 lbs
LF594
RF502
LR756
RR 673

A Big thanks go to my sponsors

AT Track Graphics also some cool pics of the car
www.attrackgraphics.com

Skull motorsports
www.skullmotorsports.com

Fox valley motorcars

and finally TKO Motorsports (Kirk & myself)

Here are a couple of videos of the car in action!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6_yRXVFh0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM1jbjKJIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7FFyFtMQU

Todd Simpson

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are a couple more.

·
Junior Charter Member
594 Posts
Congrats! Looks like it'll kick some butt and take some names!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Nice, I love the look - having fun with it. Enjoy and good luck!

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
Awesome job. I don't think I've seen another 4.6 in a SR but I don't look at the dark side (4.6 forum) much. :D The '09 season is just around the corner, have fun with it!!

Perry

·
Super Moderator
29,375 Posts
Congratulations!! Car looks awesome!!

·
Junior Charter Member
873 Posts
Very impressive build. Looks like a ton (literally) of fun!

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Very nice work! Congrats!

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
Sweet! Have fun!!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Congrats! The votes over the Eye's have it.Great job! Roger

·
Charter Member
1,219 Posts
Todd: Congrats on the build, very serious looking car. I saw you run at Autobahn (working turn #10), they had a tough time giving you enough space to run without getting held up. Cool.

tim

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the nice comments, our family is very proud of the car. It is funny how things work out, for many years I have had Mustangs and always said if I ever wrecked it I would want to build a Factory Five. When I puchased the '97 Mustang Cobra I thought "how cool would it be to put this all aluminum engine in a FFR and the cobra brakes ect." What a pipe dream.

When my wife crashed in Oct.'06 at a McSCC HSAX It was almost surreal, she is a competitive person and was a bit behind the fourth place driver and was slightly frustrated but having a great time. We were talking before her last run and I remember saying "your doing great just have fun and be safe and bring the car back in one piece." she actually said " oh don't worry we have a trailer" Now we have a FFR I tell her all the time it was one of the nicest thing she has ever done for me.

Tim, first thanks for being a corner worker. Did you also race AX or WW? I think I had four or five re-runs in a row, it was funny, finally, the starter said to hang on a minute we are clearing the track.
Thanks again everyone,
Todd S.

·
Charter Member
1,219 Posts
Todd: I remember them telling the corners to call all clear so your last run was a solo on the track. There were two FFR's running that day, yours and the one without doors - he was moving well too. I used to run a vette in AX, hopefully next year I can run my MKII - now in process of re-doing suspension (5-link), dual adjustable Koni's from Levy, new springs and Porterfield brake pads and new hubs. Lots of work.

tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts