Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It' official!!
I have to thank my family for letting me do this and mostly my wife Laura who not only enjoyed the build but also accidentily crashed my 1997 mustang cobra which became the doner. I also had alot of help from my good friend and business partner Kirk and my father-in-law Don.
In reality I have been driving the car since Aug. '07 as a go-kart I spent about the whole winter doing the body work. A couple of the things I did extra were widened the rear fender area to accomodate a sn95 axle and 315 35 17 tires, it is about 3 1/2" wider. Also the hood scoop is turned around I felt there would be a small areo gain and reduce under hood air pressure at high speeds in effort to reduce some lift. third we trimmed the body to accomodate the Kirky race seat instead of bending the seat.
The car is amazing to drive! initially with 275 tires all around it was fun but very loose. I borrowed some 315s and it was way better still loose but fast, that was before the body work, I knew I would need to do some extra work to make it happen but I felt it was worth it.
This Summer was the first full race season we had alot of fun and it went by very quick. I race with Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs in their HSAX and solo race with Chicago region SCCA and Salt Creek Sports Car Club. I was very successful with the car winning the MCSCC AR championship and also SCCA XP. There were a couple of times I managed to get FTD and/ or Fastest fenderd car. The FFR is the most fun car I have ever driven and I feel I get just a little better evey time I drive it.

pictures here:
http://www.ffcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=1&ppuser=11089

The run-down:
Engine
4.6 DOHC '97
Avaid dry sump appox 4 gal. of oil
remote cooler
Meziere electric water pump
ATI superdamper with gilmer drive for oil pump
fidaza flywheel and Centerforce dual fiction clutch/pressure plate

The rest
power steering
PBR brakes with abs and in-car ajustable bias
275 40 r17 on a 9" wheel in front
315 35 r17 on a 10 1/2" wheel rear
3 link rear standard on SR
3.73 gear with a Torsen T2R diff. Mac diff. cover
Diff. cooler
Bilstines with 600lbs. front and 500lbs. rear no sway bars
Autometer Guages w/memory
Removable steering wheel
22 gal fuel cell
Kirky seats
Lots of other little stuff

With 20 gal. gas 4 gal. oil and me 220 lbs it weighs 2525 lbs
LF594
RF502
LR756
RR 673

A Big thanks go to my sponsors

AT Track Graphics also some cool pics of the car
www.attrackgraphics.com

Skull motorsports
www.skullmotorsports.com

Fox valley motorcars

and finally TKO Motorsports (Kirk & myself)

Here are a couple of videos of the car in action!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6_yRXVFh0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM1jbjKJIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7FFyFtMQU

Enjoy
Todd Simpson

·
Charter Member
352 Posts
Todd,

Congrats on your graduation! You and Kirk did an incredible job with your build. Additionally, hats off to a very successful inagural cobra racing season! Many more awards await you on the track in the future.

Take care,

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Neil
Vegas I am so lame with computers I am not sure how to put pics in a thread. need help

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for the help Vegas they look great now I feel official! Todd

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pics added

now with pictures

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a couple more.

·
Junior Charter Member
395 Posts
Nice

You should be real proud of yourself. Great Job
Don

·
Master?
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sergio?

Thanks all for the nice comments. Were is Sergio I was hoping he would chime in and add me to the class of '08

Happy Thanksgiving all
Todd S.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts