Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and I am thinking of buying a FF complet kit sometime this year. I bought the manual and all I have to say is thank God for this forum. It is no wonder that FF recommends joining the forum as a resource for information. That is the worst how to book I have ever seen. Having said that, if I had the car in front of me, maybe some of that would make sense. After looking at some of the threads, I notice many cars seem to have a vent hose running from the right side of the car into the passenger foot box but the manual never mentions it. Is that for the optional heater?

Also, does the Mark III kit have more foot room on the driver's side? In the one car that I have sat in, I could not put my left foot beside the clutch pedal and it was very awkward, at least for me, to drive the car with my leg bent trying to avoid the pedals.

My engine choice will likely be a 351 with a carburator and world class T5 transmission. I am thinking 390hp with 400lb/ft or so of torque should be enough for a 2300 lb car.

I am looking forward the March build school as I am hopeful that it will answer a lot of my questions and alleviate some of my fears of attempting this process.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey Scott, welcome to the forum. With the project in front of me, the manual USUALLY makes sense - but a lot of times it's not clear at all and can be VERY frustrating. A friend of mine actually tossed his out :) This forum is very helpful for the situations where the manual is lacking. I imagine the build school will show you everything you need to know.

Welcome!
Chris

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
i scratched mine till i bled

welcome from a new guy on the block also! just buy it and they will come, ordered my complete kit on 12/31 not going to pick it up till the 1st part of april i did e-mail about my manual to be shipped to me to plan the build,but someone has not answered it yet hello where are you FFR. i am a carpenter superintendent out of st.louis and a man that plans his jobs well. hope i can do this with-out a punchlist. i will say a couple of hail mary's for all of us.
good luck to you and remember just think a Ford Blue engine with no bling- bling goes just as fast as the shiny ones. also maybe its the dry weather thats giving you the ITCH!!:wave:

·
Super Moderator
29,376 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Welcome! :wave:

·
Builder of FFR#5197
1,404 Posts
Welcome. Jump on in.

The manual provides a decent guide on next steps, but definately use the search link above to research for tips, etc.
The hose is for the power vents that are fed from the brake ducts up front through the blower to the footboxes.

The drivers side box has more room than the passenger, but some extend their footbox out wider with fabricated sheet metal extender. They also usually put a dead pedal on the frame to rest their left foot.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I just received my coupe manual-pretty vague. I like pictures! I have been reading the forums, going to sponsors sites, looking into build school and PM everyone for as much info as possible. I plan on purchasing the basic kit to build a track car at the end of the month. This forum (you guys) are priceless! Thank you! I feel much more confident that this forum is only a keyboard away if I have trouble with the build or advice on parts!
Howard

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
4,393 Posts
see if you can video tape build school - then sell it to pay for upgrades!!!

·
5,209 Posts
I found the car to be nothing more than a giant erector set to build. I did it all by the manual. This was 8 years ago. The Mark III has the least foot room of all 3. With your engine choice you may be able to enlarge the footbox. I'll let other mark III builders talk about that.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me Tooo got the itch

Well I am probably the newest kid on the block. So let me say hello here and add my 2 cents worth.
Been building cars for most of my life. In my past are a deuce coupe(blown 426CID Hemi), 1964 MGB ('67 302 CID 375HP Chev SB) and others... My current ride is a 96 Trans Am LT1 with turbo, and thats getting a bit tired. Time to buy something new......Sooooooooooo
My coupe kit will be in the garage late August. Got the manual already, and am starting to acquire parts now. Picked up a 351W, with installed stroker kit for 410CID freshly built.
I have no room to park a donor car while I strip out the parts, there are 3 cars in the 2 car garage(1 car parked on the hoist), and my sons 73 CJ5 Jeep parked at the side of the driveway. The alternative of using old material of unknown vintage and quality, acquired from a wrecking yard is not very appealing, been there done that in most projects I have built, so I have my first question already, has anyone developed a list of part numbers associated with the donor parts list, so one can go to the local Ford emporium and hand them a list for purchase? I can get it done without it, but why have to go through the parts books if someone has already done the homework, right?
I have started detailed planning for my coupe's performance options. I wanted IRS, but the Canadian MOT(alias the Gestapo) won't let it into the country. FFR will be making the necessary mods to the frame to accept the IRS components, but I will have to come up with the parts to put it together, FFR cannot supply. I am sure there will be other hurdles, but I will solve them as they arise.
Anyway, this forum appears to be a God send, even though I am an experienced builder, I am sure this is the place to come for advice and camaraderie.

Best regards to all

Carl

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blackbird, why not just get the complete kit with IRS option if you are going to go to the local Ford dealer and hand them a wad of cash? The work is already done for you and you get the better upgrades in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Scott:
As Mickie said, you can extend the Mk3 driver's footbox to the outside easily before the final mounting of the body. I wasn't that smart and did it with the painted body on - possible, but more work. Click Advertisers above and Dark Water for one extension kit. Since you are planning a 352 I think you can also extend the driver footbox to the inside. Search this forum for more info on that. I have a 4.6 so I had no room for that mod. Part of the fun part of the FFR is doing your own modifications that make your car what you want. Footbox extensions, air to footboxes, etc., etc., etc.

Carl, I don't know of any list of donor parts that has all the Ford part numbers, but search this forum for it. That route would be expensive. Since you have no space to rip apart a donor, an option you might look into is buying a donor pallet. I got a pallet from Cypress Auto in Oakland, CA. that worked very well. A donor pallet is the engine, trans, rear end, and all other parts listed in the donor list of the manual packed and shipped to you. They do the work of stripping a wrecked donor and you can pay a little more than doing it yourself. Call Mike @ 800-573-7278 and he'll discusss options like IRS and various donors he has and their milage. Mike's a nice honest guy who knows FFR projects, and there's a warranty for 12 months after first start.

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ya know, I wanted to do that very thing, the money is NOT the issue. The problem is the Gestapo, canuck MOT(I am in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada), they have a strangle hold on what can be brought in to the Country. There is NO appeal, there is no way of getting around them, many have tried. There is an approved list, the FFR site has the info, I cannot get the IRS stuff from FFR here in Canada(legally that is). I will get it, by the time I am ready for it. FFR is gonna prepare the frame for it, it'll be all ready for the components, the MOT cannot stop that part. I have a source for the TBird IRS assembly(its in my uncles garage) and had 30,000 miles on it before it was involved in a roll over it was totalled(I bought the wreck knowing I was going to be building my dream car). Anyway....the MOT is not going to stop my fun, only delay it for a while. LOL. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Pete, thanks for the info on the donor pallet. I didn't know they provided that service. In my younger days, it was FUN tramping through the wrecking yards, gathering up the parts needed, but those days are long gone I am afraid. Much too easy now to crack open the wallet and let some one else do the slugging. I have also been looking for a running donor, so I can be sure of the viability of the parts, but that IS an expensive way to go, not to mention the fact there are very few suitable Mustang 5.0 s on the used market here in Canada. I will certainly be giving Mike a call. Mind you, with the motor and differential selections out of the way, the size of the pallet becomes more manageable. The biggest selection now will be the gearbox. I have not yet made the for sure decision there. My wife is a supporter of this project, and she wants the occasional use of the GT once its done. The only problem is, she has never driven a stick. She said she is willing to learn, but I don't know if I want her learning on this beast. My best friend has a modified AOD tranny in his 351 Mustang, which is bored and stroked to 408 CID, twin Garret 3582 turbos, and multiport fuel injection. He's pushing 770 HP on the dyno with 8 PSI boost. The tranny performs well and is supposedly good to that HP. This is a choice I am considering. FFR doesn't have a jig or tranny mount for an automatic in the coupe, talked to Dan Golub already. It really isn't a big issue, I can fab up a mount in a hurry, but I would prefer not to butcher up the powder coated frame right off the bat!, I want this car to be pristeen, LOL. Here I am digressing.... thanks for the info Pete.

Best regards....

Carl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts