Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a drive since we are going on Vaca next week so wanted to get some seat time in. Still keeping it local just in case.
As I was coming out of a round about the car seemed to stall but then picked up again and seemed fine. So took the long way through town ( funny how you end up doing that it these cars) but then it started sputtering and eventually klunked out. I was able to coast into the side of the road.
Check under the hood and there was no fuel pressure, although my fuel gauge still read full. Called my son who fortunately wasn’t working for a change and he brought a 5 gal tank of gas. Re filled the car and it started right up. Guess my gas gauge is not working. I calibrated it with about 2-3 gal on empty then went to the gas station and filled it up after which I calibrated full.
Not sure if it’s the gauge or the sending unit but will have to calibrate again I suppose.
Took a few pics as I was waiting and tested out the 4 ways.

you can see how I wired the tail lights with the trailer pack to have all 4 lights be blinkers. You can also see the motor cycle lights in the rear hatch area. I put those in for better visibility for (pick up) trucks.
In this one you see the halo/ blinkers in the head lights too.

Glad it was a simple fix and I didn’t have to do the “day tow na” !!
How many miles are you guys seeing on a tank of gas? From calibration I got about 180 miles. Thought the tank is about 16 gal at 20 mpg should give me about 320 mile range.

John

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I don’t trust the gas gauge much although it does seem to work just fine.

Best thing for me is to reset the trip odometer after every fill up. I know I can safely get 150 miles out of a full tank and just plan around that.

I’m getting about 13 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t trust the gas gauge much although it does seem to work just fine.

Best thing for me is to reset the trip odometer after every fill up. I know I can safely get 150 miles out of a full tank and just plan around that.

I’m getting about 13 miles per gallon.
That makes sense, gues I’ll have to keep a close eye on that moving forward!
Thanks for sharing!

John

·
Registered
360 Posts
Did you black out the fuel fill? How did you do that? How is it holding up?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you black out the fuel fill? How did you do that? How is it holding up?
Glenn,

I blacked out all the external items, gas fill, wheels, pipes, tail and head light trim rings and mirrors all got powder coated.
For the gas filler I took it all apart by tapping out the hinge pin. There’s a spring in there so be careful if/when you do this so you don’t loose it.
The rest of the items I spray painted to match. Here’s a better look.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts