Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an engine this weekend 99 Explorer. I am so happy. I started working on it and I have it painted. Here are the pictures for proof.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Very nice Joe. I've got a 99' Explorer engine also. Cleans up real nice.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.What are you useing for headers??

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Congratulations!

Nice intake!

Since you're in the business, can you explain the tall, vented valve cover bolts like the brass one on the drivers side front in your first picture? I had a couple like that on my donor and didn't know their purpose.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are for the spark plug wire holder. They useualy get trashed after the first tune up.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Way cool Joe. Glad things are moving forward.

I am not positive but if the Explorer uses GT40 heads, you have to use GT40 headers. FRPP has some unpainted ones, which is what I got, but I am going to go with cats to help with the atmosphere. I suspect others make GT40 headers as well.

If you use headers, you have to relocate the oil filter as well. I got a slick billet adapter from Canton Racing Products.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
I've got a set of shorty headers I bought from one of our forum members. Don't remember what brand they are.
I'm using J pipes.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any pictures of the headers on the engine???

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
bstuke,

Are you thinking of the GT 40 P heads? If I recall correctly the "P" heads used specfic headers. I'm not sure which GT40 heads are on the Explorer motor....

Olli

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
96 explorer has the GT40 and the later years have the GT40p

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Originally posted by Olli:
bstuke,

Are you thinking of the GT 40 P heads? If I recall correctly the "P" heads used specfic headers. I'm not sure which GT40 heads are on the Explorer motor....

Olli
Excellent point. I am not sure. My heads are GT40X, and what I got are:

FRPP M9430P50

SHORTY HEADERS 86/93 5.0L W/ GT40P HEADS SS(FRPP)
Ford Racing Headers for GT40 "P" Heads on 1986-1993 Mustangs.

These headers feature a blend of 409 stainless and mild steel. Fits 1986-93 Mustangs with stock or aftermarket H-Pipe. Designed to fit production heads and all GT- 40 heads. Also fits 1979-1985 Mustangs and other fox chassis with minor modifications. Mandrel bent 1 5/8" primaries with 1.5" x 1.2" ports. Gaskets and hardware included. Will fit early model mustangs with minor modifications.

The important thing that I understood was the "1.5" x 1.2" ports" that all GT40 heads have.

Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Here ya go Joe:

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. Pictures are great.

·
1,752 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.