Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won't do handstands in driveway until I get title back from Austin in about 10 days. However, was able to get plates and a registration certificate yesterday from county tax office. Recommendations: Get a copy of Dept of Trans. Code 501.0929. Refer to page 199 - Assembled Vehicle Using A Manufactured Prefabricated Body. Follow it exactly. Make sure you have copy of paperwork from purchase of Donor. I bought my '88 donor new and even had loan papers from credit union. I also had registration papers from buying plates from same county tax office in '98 & '99. I made mistake and signed title and gave it to guy who bought my donor's body without making a xerox of it. Don't make this mistake - make copies and put in a safe place. Recommend you do that so you can show you owned donor at some time previous to registration. Take picture of donor disassembly including pulling engine. The FFR concept is difficult to explain without pictures. Get number rubbings of donor VIN, donor engine (do this while engine is out of car and intake manifold is off) Get pictures of FFR being assembled. Take a picture of the nose of the body - mine had my last name, date of manuf and a FFR # different from the VIN on the certif of orig. Have VIN engraved onto metal and rivit to firewall. Have rubbing of VIN and also a photo of VIN installed. You turn in the original Certif Of Origin to the court house. They send the rubbings, photo of completed car, certif of origin, completed VTR-61 (title application) original Green Sheet from inspection station to Austin. Be able to show them the Sales Order from FFR. Also save all of your Texas receipts for parts purchased locally so you can show you paid sales tax on the parts obtained locally. Finally, treat the local tax people very professionally. I went to them up to 14 mo. in advance making sure I was on the right track and then, updated them on a 4-5 mo. basis to make sure I was still doing everything they required. I also got my liability insurance about a month in advance. (I don't think I did myself any injustice by wearing my shirt and tie from work every time I went in) You need insurance to get the "ferry plates" to take it to the inspector. I had to get 2 $5 ea. ferry plates for the trip to and from the inspection station. These plates are bought from the same tax office. They are good for 15 days and specify the exact route you will take to and from inspection. Finally, recommend you carefully read pages 197-201 of subject DOT regulation and compare each option to 199....you will then see that 199 is the option best fitting and most desirable for a FFR. Bottom line - be professional, follow the rules exactly and it should work.
Eddie

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
Thanks Eddie, timely post. I hope mine goes as smoothly as yours did here in a couple of months.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
Are these documents anything like what you have a copy of. It's the only thing I could find on the web and doesn't seem to match what you are speaking of.

State of Texas docs...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ryan,
Those look like the document series numbers, but what you have might be more recent than what I got 18 mo ago from the tax office. I never went back for an update and me and the tax office just went by what I have in my 3 ring binder. My copy is dated "Revised 5/99" at the bottom. I'll be happy to send you or anyone else copies of the pages I used if you will just send me a SSAE. My address is 3401 S. 4th St., Waco, TX 76706
Eddie

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
Yes, but the actual document that backs it all up isn't documented is it? I would just like to have a copy because it's hard to deny what's in legal print. Can anyone pick up a copy at the tax office?

[ August 22, 2002, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: rlogan ]

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Originally posted by rlogan:
Yes, but the actual document that backs it all up isn't documented is it? I would just like to have a copy because it's hard to deny what's in legal print. Can anyone pick up a copy at the tax office?
I think I have copies. I'll try to find them and post them this weekend. But all you really have to do is walk in and ask them to open page 199-200 of the title book.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
Thanks Bill...will do. We may have another FFR coming to South Texas(Corpus to be exact). I think this will be the first Corpus FFR. The guy is coming to look at mine soon...after seeing it, how could he go any other route????? :D

[ August 22, 2002, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: rlogan ]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ryan,

when am I coming to San Antonio for a Cobra meet and to "oooooh and aaaaaah" over your car.

"el Aggie presidente"
TCC

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
Soon Dennis, Soon...I have a rugrat on the way so time is of the essence....that's right, another little Aggie(if he/she knows what's good for a long healthy life). My little brother just rebelled and decided to go to T.U. These spoiled kids...

[ August 22, 2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: rlogan ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.