Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a 1990 Mustang GT that runs good but is wrecked on all sides so where to from here? I have more time than money and 1 child in college. I looked at the Factory Five kits and am leaning that way. So here I am on your forum to read all about it. Looks like plenty of good info here. Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,021 Posts
More time than money?!? Welcome to te club. I just bought an '88 as a donor car and am in the process of tearing it down now. To start, make sure that you want to do this and that you have the money to buy the kit - or you'll havea pile of parts laying there and nothing to bolt them to.

Your next steps should be fairly simple:
> GO back through the forum and read anything and everything that has "donor"in the title.
> GO to the FAQs and read about donors
> VISIT the build sites (I'd start with John Baker's) and read the whole thing, but focus on the donor section
> VISIT and get to know anyone in your area who's done this before - these are all GREAT people and more than willing to help in any way that they can.
> ASK as many questions as you can, visit this site every day . . . and get started!!!

·
Charter Member
105 Posts
Welcome. You can purchase a manual from FFR. It describes in full detail all of the parts you will need and how to remove them. The price of the manual is deducted when you prchase the kit.

·
6,546 Posts
Well, you need just a couple of things.

1. Donor, which you have.
2. FFR 427 Roadster kit.
3. A good set of tools.
4. Friends
5. Beer
6. Pizza

:D

Honestly, find someone that has an FFR and check it out. Order the assembly guide/manual and give it a once over.

If you're good with cars or mechanically inclined and want to learn you're in the right place.

Ozona

·
4,494 Posts
Mike, I live not to far from you, in the Valley. I sent you e-mail with my phone number to your listed e-mail address, so give me a call and you can some see what you are getting into first hand.

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a kick out your messages and Bill32 has already given me a call and some info. So I now have some direction. Thank you all. I look forward to talking with you all on the Forum.
Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Some things to keep you busy. And I forget the exact order

1) take the rear axle out(watch out for the rear springs
2) take the steering out(from the wheel that you hold onto to the front tires
3) take the fuel filter holder out
4) take all control arms out if you not using the FFR uppers and lowers
5) take the motor out....sell it and get you a 351 or a 392 with lots of HP.
6) take the wiring out. From the tail lights to the head lights (and everything in between)and label them.
7) Pedal box....take that out.
8) from the brake pedal to the master cylinder...take that out.
Clean all the above parts. Some guys sand blast them and paint them.

Save donor in case I forget something. Have fun and ask questions

Tifford

·
Senior Charter Member
540 Posts
sell the Vette and buy a beater to run around in and you will have more than enough money to build the FFR and send the kid to college.

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sell the Vette put the kid through college is not a bad idea. Hopefully I will be able to pull this all off. I like the Vette for travel to Nebraska. Gets kinda warm and the air conditioning suits me HA!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Buy or barrow a manual and remove all the parts for the build plus anything you think you might be able to use. Sell everything that is left, you'd be suprised how much you can get. Stick with a stock build if you want to keep the price down. Clean, paint, and detail all the parts, then when you do get a kit you can start bolting it together. Even with the stock drivetrain the FFR is a blast to drive. Later on you can improve the 5.0 or replace it with a bigger engine.

Have fun.

Greg

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I'm ordering the assembley manual this morning. I'll be watching the forum and reading about the builds as they happen. Mike

·
Charter Member
169 Posts
I'm also in the valley. I've got an extra manual if you want to peruse, and you're always welcome to stop by and check out my build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts