Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at Gordon's Koni set-up and have a couple of questions:

1. The rod ends on the fronts looks much larger than the FFR rod ends. Will they work with the original Forte LCA’s, which are not clearances like the FFR LCA's. As best I can tell the max width on the widest part would have to be no greater than 1.1". Can anyone check for me or confirm they work without modding the LCA's?

2. At the rear I currently have about 3/8" clearance between the FFR springs and my T-bird rear calibers (which are set-up on Fox width with FMS brackets that locate it the same as Richard Oben's bracket). I know that Gordon’s shocks use a larger 2.5" ID spring but what is the outside diameter compared to the 3" OD FFR springs?

Any help in confirming these would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Cheers, Rod

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,785 Posts
Rod, is your car a live axle or IRS. If it's the live axle, I have a couple of ways of helping with the clearance.
1 is to swap the brake brackets and clipers from side to side. This will put them on the front side of the diff instead of the rear.
2) I have a couple of shock brackets that I can send you that will relocate the upper mount to the inside of the frame instead of the outside. This is the easiest way to get a ton of clearance.

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gordon,
Live axle (3-link) on the rear and here are a couple of pics of what I'm dealing with.

So moving the top shock mount to the inside of the frame rail won't work because of the VPM anti-roll bar. Swapping the calipers to the front is a possibility I had thought of but involves tearing the rear apart, rerouting e-brake cables and possibly rear brake lines. Possible but a bit of work and I'm trying to get on the road as soon as possible. I was hoping someone would chime in and confirm they'll work with my set-up right out of the box.

BTW, I forgot to ask, what is the lead time on your shocks/springs?

All the best, Rod

·
14,785 Posts
Honestly Rod, I beleive switching sides on the calipers might be the best solution.
I have an order schedualled to be built next week. I can still get it in on that order. If not then it will be about 4 weeks after that.

·
14,785 Posts
They've been used with the Fortes arms more than a few times.

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
I have gordons koni shocks and fortes front control arms, I needed to shave a little off the shock for clearance.I used a dremel tool with a sanding disk and removed a small amount of material were the shock end made contact with the control arm.

·
14,785 Posts
Rod, I have a solution. I really have ment to have these shocks mounted inverted in the car. Because I use a short 8" long spring, if you mount them with the shock body down, they will clear the calipers. The caliper will only need to clear the shock body.
The mounting eyes and 1.25" wide and 5/8" thick.

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrk3cobra,
Thanks for the info that backs up this post I found (I thought I hadn't burnt out those memory cells yet).

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/081566.html?

Pic from Cobra MD:

You can see the contact he had between the rod end and the cross tube on the LCA. It sounds like notching the tube may be the solution. I knew I bought the TIG for a reason.

That may work for the rears from some quick measurements I took. Fingers crossed on that one.

Let me think about it tonight and I will give you a ring tomorrow to discuss/order.

Is the some reason your recommended spring rates are so much higher than the stock rates? I've read where others have said they liked those rates so I think I would be happy but it just surprised me. I would have expected a harsher ride.

Cheers, Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts