Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I have finally gotten all of my ducks in a row with the blown 383 windsor. I am heading to the dyno tomorrow for a custom tune. I will be using SCT software with stock electronics. I know I am leaving a lot of HP on the table sticking with the factory processor but the FAST XFI system will come later when I switch over to the twin turbo setup. My combo is below, anyone care to venture a guess on my power levels, I will post results tomorrow afternoon.

383 cubic inch Windsor
Edelbrock Victor Jr cylinder heads ported on the exhaust only. Intake flowed 295 and exhaust flowed 235cfm.
Comp Cam 35-518-008HR .576/.600 236 @.050"
Trick Flow EFI box intake
90mm Throttlebody
60lb injectors
SCT BA 2800 90mm Mass air
4 into 4's into Loback equipped sidepipes
Methanol injection

Hope to be at the Open House this weekend...

Mike

[ June 14, 2007, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: 5.8Cobra ]

·
1,672 Posts
It will be really interesting to see what you make tomorrow. I expect well over 500 rwhp and closer to 600 at 15 psi of boost.

How much boost do you plan to run - on what gas ?

Charile

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
No guess but good luck Mike. We will be anxiously awaiting results. Can you share who is doing your dyno/tune?

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Are you running the blower in your sig? That makes a difference.

-dan

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
250HP and a lot of noise! hee hee

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am running a Vortech YS with Cogged pulleys. The lower pulley is a 72 tooth and for the upper I have a selection of 30,32,or 34 teeth. I am hoping to stay under 20psi and I am looking to keep it safe on pump gas in the 650rwhp range. Could make 500 or it could make 700. Only the dyno will tell and I realize its really only a tuning aid and HP is just a number.

Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
20 psi on strictly pump gas, what comp are you running? Also need to know what type of dyno as there can be quite a diff between Mustang and Dynojet. You should easily make over 550 rwhp with your engine size and 20 psi on Mustang, Dynojet who knows as I have seen 5-30% more. Nothing wrong with stock computer and SCT chip tuning which is what I run.
Thomas

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only intercooler I am running is an Anderson Ford water/methanol injection kit. The compression ratio is 8.25:1 and the dyno is a Superflow. I am limited to 60lb injectors because they are the biggest high impedence injectors available. In order to go to anything larger I would need to run low impedence injectors with a driver. The processor speed of an A9L is not really up to the task of feeding the needs of such a high horsepower combo. To realize the full potential of the combination and for better driveablility I would need to switch to a FAST XFI system. I am taking the car to Jannetty Racing in Waterbury CT as he has a lot of experience tuning high horsepower boosted strokers. He has a website if anyone is interested just do a search, you'll find it.

Mike

·
1,672 Posts
And the answer was ?

MassFlo has 70 lb injectors you can run from an A9L - that is what I have on my motor.

You will need to size a fuel pump accordingly to use them.

Charlie

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
On my twin turbo car i used to run 83# high impedence injectors. With 20# boost they were static open all the time.

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
Mike,

Good Luck. That's quite a combo. I'll guess 670 rwhp for 15 psi. :eek:

How did you do?

Art

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Wheres the Video! It didnt happen!

Can I change my answer to 250 X 3 ?? can i can i!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the results are in. I made it through 11 grueling pulls without any major issues. The second pull sucked a bunch of oil in the PCV and it started smoking like a train. We shut it down and promptly removed that and plugged the vacuum source. That cleared that problem up. We then went on to fiddle with the AF ratios until we were close enough for a full pull. First it pulled 550 shutting it down at 5500. Everything looked good so we continued up to 6000 where it made 572. Then a full pull to 6250 bumped the factory limiter and squeaked out 616. We went back in and raised the limiter and started our timing map giving it another 4 degrees initial and then trimming a couple degrees out on the top and we ended up with 652hp at 6400 and it made 550ftlbs of torque at 6000. The AF ratios are very safe and there were no signs of detonation. The boost ended up at 15lbs at 6400, just where I wanted to be. All in all a great day, I didnt even rip the 3 link bracket off the frame although the banana bracket is listing to the side a little. The cogged belt stayed intact as well which is good at $120 a piece! Looks like I will make it to the open house, see you guys all there. Thanks for following my thread...

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Not bad. I suggest calling Job Spetter Jr at turbo people in NY. He can help you with aftermarket processors and nobody matches his tuning skills.

Back in 2002 when he tuned my twin turbo we got 810hp/940ft/lb with 20psi

Could have had more if i had larger injectors but I ran into the same problem as you where i couldnt go larger without going to low impedence and getting a new computer or drivers. I was running the old style accel dfi that didnt take low imp.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts