Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im narrowing down my build plan and I think I have settled on using a donor 5.0 from a mustang. I love the idea of having a (mostly) stock engine from a reliability standpoint and 400ish hp should be more than enough for me. Will be building the car with power steering, A/C, IRS and a T-56.

I see lots of 11-15' mustang 5.0 motors as "pullouts" from wrecked cars. Some have everything from the gauge cluster to the long block, some only a motor... all are relatively affordable. Looking for some advice as to the most efficient way to install the motor, ease of install is also a factor.

-Buying a pulled motor and and install using a Ford Performance Control Pack (includes all engine wiring/fbw gas pedal/ecu)

-Buying a pulled motor that includes ford factory stuff from the donor car (wiring harness/ecu/fbw pedal)

I see the coyote install kit on the coupe order sheet as well, but there isn't a lot of info about what's in it, is it worth the $$.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
This is discussed occasionally. Some are successful using the donor wiring and PCM. Others have tried and given up. Others just buy the Ford Performance control pack to start with. Personally, I'd recommend the latter. Don't know what your experience level is. But using the donor wiring and PCM can be complicated and at the very least requires reprogramming. There's also the possibility to go aftermarket with the PCM. Again, without knowing your expertise, that's not the simplest approach. IMO, you'll easily spend the $1500 or so for the control pack in effort and frustration maybe without success. I assume you know there are three Coyote versions: 11-14 (Gen1), 15-17 (Gen 2), and 18+ (Gen 3). Each requires a different control pack. I know Gen 2 and Gen 3 are available. Don't know about the Gen 1. The Factory Five Coyote installation kit has some things you'll use no matter what. Like motor mount spacers, brackets for mounting the PCM and PDB, fuel regulator, etc. Also has a number of fuel line fittings that are used if you go with the stock installation. Some (like me) go another direction so do end up with some extra parts. Either way, I'd probably recommend it.

I'm wrapping up a Gen 3 Coupe build with a Gen 3 Coyote, A/C, PS, IRS and T-56. Almost exactly what you're describing. Fun project. I have a build thread. Link in the sig line below if you haven't seen it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been reading your build thread, searching through it to research some of my questions. Its been a big help, but an even bigger inspiration! I have read up on the 3 gen's of coyote motors, I would love a gen 3 as direct injection is amazing when a good tuner gets their hands on it but all the additional power would be lost on me. Stock reliability and 400ish hp is all im after. I think Im sold on a donor get 1 motor with wiring harness, then buying the FFR installation kit and control pack. I have zero experience with wiring ecu's and honestly little drive to learn the skill. I will go the most plug and play route possible, even if its a few extra bucks to make happen.

I saw that you went with the wildwood brake kit all the way around, I like the idea but im also curious if the brembo's from the GT350 would bolt on.. Ive seen front and rear calipers/rotors go on ebay for less than $1k.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Sounds good. Understand about the Gen 3. Nice upgrade but you pay for it now. I'd personally stick with a Gen 2 donor (2015 - 2017). The control pack IMO is a little more robust with an OE sourced PDB (Power Distribution Box) and in general a little more refined than Ford's first version with the Gen 1. Plus, as I said, not sure about the availability of a Gen 1 control pack since it's been a while. For the Wilwoods, they're beautifully made and look great. More performance for street use? Not likely. Donor brakes if they fit properly would work fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They will not.

Jeff
I thought that the gt350 brakes probably require gt350 specific spindles or adaptors.. I will probably research using the stock "track pack" brembos before committing to the wilwood brakes. The emergency brake will be a big factor in witch kit I go with. The ebrake seems to be solved with the wilwood setup.

the decision to go gen 1 or gen 2 will probably be made based on price and availability when I am ready to buy... I know the gen 1 control pack is still being sold, and with the coyote motor being such a popular swap into lots of different cars I don't think its likely to go away soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts