Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So A buddy of mine has a FiTech the basic model 400hp that he ended up not using. thinking of putting it on my Cobra. He has kept the fuel pump on his build so I would need to buy one for this system. The instructions say that I need 60lbs plus and do not need a return although I will plumb it anyway since I have the stock mustang tank that already has it. Question one is Dose the stock 5.0 pump have enough pressure? Summit sells a direct replacement 90 psi for 225 dollars. But when I look at the Ford specs they list theirs in LPH and not PSI. Second question,, I currently am running a Weind Stealth dual plane manifold but I have a new Edelbrock Torker 2 low rise single plane sitting on my shelf,,, Should I do a manifold swap also??? Since I am going efi would I lose drivability with a single plane? From what I understand about the EFI it sounds like it would be good but not sure.. My engine is a stock short block with Aluminum heads and a mild street/strip cam and MSD ignition. I think I'm currently around 350 hp?? Apreciate any feed back thanks.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,598 Posts
The stealth will be fine. Use a 255lph intake tank pump on the factory hanger and you will be fine for fuel delivery.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Can’t answer all your questions, but I have that model on my 302 with a rpm performer intake, the Ford e cam and a 225 lph pump. 3/16 feed, 1/4 return. Almost 3 years and several thousand miles and I’m very happy with it. Drivability is good.

Best of luck on your conversation

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m running a lower 195 LPH on my 331 with a Fitech 600. Since Fitech has a built in fuel pressure regulator, don’t worry about the pressure, just about tgetting the fuel to the Fitech . You didn’t say what size your fuel line is and that that would help determining if you needed a return line. Fuel runs cooler with return lines. If it was a 1/4 or 5/16 line then I would run a new line, 3/8, and use the other for a return. Which ever way you go, you need a fuel filter after the pump and another just before the Fitech. Either manifold is fine, the Fitech will adjust to what you use.
The system is pretty simple to set up so don’t over think it. The more you drive it the better it gets.
Good luck

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,137 Posts
I did the conversion, and have a big write-up here in the forums. Good things, bad things, my experiences.

One thing for sure, do NOT use the FITECH Fuel Commander!

Make sure a properly thought out system, but it does make the car run better!

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I recommend a 155 or 190lph pump

At 13.5 volts, (so properly wired, and plumbed) w 10 percent safety factor a 155lph pump is good for 356hp and a 190lph nominal is good for 470.
You are likely to have issues trying to stuff nominal 255lph back into the tank through the 1/4" OD return and the associated fittings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2 cents: stick with the dual plane, much better all around solution particularly for a relatively mild hp street car.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Feeding off what Brewha says, check the Fitech specs for how fine a filter is required. My Holley system requires a 10 micron (u) filter, so the F5-provided 15u filter wouldn't cut it.

John

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
So A buddy of mine has a FiTech the basic model 400hp that he ended up not using. thinking of putting it on my Cobra. He has kept the fuel pump on his build so I would need to buy one for this system. The instructions say that I need 60lbs plus and do not need a return although I will plumb it anyway since I have the stock mustang tank that already has it. Question one is Dose the stock 5.0 pump have enough pressure? Summit sells a direct replacement 90 psi for 225 dollars. But when I look at the Ford specs they list theirs in LPH and not PSI. Second question,, I currently am running a Weind Stealth dual plane manifold but I have a new Edelbrock Torker 2 low rise single plane sitting on my shelf,,, Should I do a manifold swap also??? Since I am going efi would I lose drivability with a single plane? From what I understand about the EFI it sounds like it would be good but not sure.. My engine is a stock short block with Aluminum heads and a mild street/strip cam and MSD ignition. I think I'm currently around 350 hp?? Apreciate any feed back thanks.
Schooner,
I have the 400hp Fitech with a Stock Ford in-tank Fuel Pump (38psi and fine for cruising) pushing through 5/16" supply line to a stock ford fuel filter leading to a Stock 302 with an edelbrock dual plane rpm performer intake and an E303 cam. I also have a 1/4" return line run to the tank, and do not have the fuel command center. I've run over 21,000 miles on this set up in the last 18 months with no problems.

There have been times when I have starved the motor in second gear at the higher RPM's when I really wanted to "get on it". But those times are rare, and I haven't considered changing pumps.

I've always listened to Gordon Levy, and again agree that his advice is spot on. Having that fuel pump swapped and run a return line will be an easy addition, and you'll be on your way.

You can always start out with the stock pump, and swap if needed.

Photos of Fuel Lines and Fitech

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input! I will stay with the dual plane and I will keep the stock pump for back up but sounds like I want to increase the pump to the 190+lph and since I need to route the return line I will go larger on that as well. Looking forward to next spring already! Thanks again for I am a great mechanic just not an engineer lol.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
... I am a great mechanic just not an engineer lol.
You're better off! I'm an Engineer and have already "over thought" everything for you. See ya on the road

1 - 12 of 12 Posts