Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace on old GoPro 3. While it basically works, batteries are shot, no more firmware updates, etc. Planning on Black Friday on-line shopping for Spring use.

I'm looking at either a 7 or 8. And I need a good remote mic, so I can have the mic out of the wind, in the cockpit so I can get exhaust noise. And also which App works best.

So, please post which you have and/or like, and how it has worked. Post which remote mic you have and it's hook-up to the camera.

Many Thanks, I'm sending this thread to Santa......

Dan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,598 Posts
Mr. D,

I still use my GoPro Hero4's and have good luck with them. I also use a:

Movo GM100 Clip-on Lavalier Microphone for Compatible with GoPro HERO3, HERO3+ and HERO4 Black, White and Silver Editions - Includes Mic Adapter for Go Pro, which utilizes the micro port.

I run the mic down inside the cockpit behind a seat and it picks up sound good. I use the GoPro remote fob to start/stop multiple cameras. I also run USB cables on cameras not using the microphone to a 12v plug which eliminates battery charging. On the camera that uses the mic I have spare charged batteries.

I got my extra cams via Ebay for a decent price. Until they stop performing I'm going to continue using them. Editing is done with RaceRender, Camtasia or other video processing software.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have two Go Pro Hero 4 Black and Hero 9. Hands down the Hero 9 is amazing. For just recording driving, it does not matter as much. I still get great video from the Hero 4. It is that the Hero 9 have stability control. You can walk around with it and make great video. The Hero 4 looks more like giving a 4 year old and camera. I also like how easy it is to get video off the Hero 9 to my phone and share right away. I still do my video editing on the computer, but being able to see the video from the phone is very handy. If I had to had one, it would be the Hero 9. I have played or owned every Hero from the first HD model to the Hero 9. I have not played with the Hero 10 yet.

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
I think it all depends on what you plan to do with the video. If you need high quality for promos and stuff, then spend the bux for Hero9 or 10. If not, shop e-bay and CL for something cheaper.
I still use an old Hero+. Even underwater, it still provides pretty good image quality.

And, there are other options for action cameras.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, easy, reliable recoding of on-track sessions. Will not be doing anything professional with the video, just wanting it.

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those with the Hero 8, please post your external Microphone set-up

·
Junior Charter Member
525 Posts
I now use my Dash Cam. Mainly because when power is applied it is on, no need to turn it on. I mainly use it in the Cobra for on track day, but move it to my car or SUV for daily use. I had to get creative to get it mounted, but has worked for about 5 sessions on track.

Lee

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have two Go Pro Hero 4 Black and Hero 9. Hands down the Hero 9 is amazing. For just recording driving, it does not matter as much. I still get great video from the Hero 4. It is that the Hero 9 have stability control. You can walk around with it and make great video. The Hero 4 looks more like giving a 4 year old and camera. I also like how easy it is to get video off the Hero 9 to my phone and share right away. I still do my video editing on the computer, but being able to see the video from the phone is very handy. If I had to had one, it would be the Hero 9. I have played or owned every Hero from the first HD model to the Hero 9. I have not played with the Hero 10 yet.
What program do you use to edit your videos?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have Adobe Premiere, but the latest GoPro editor is not bad. If you want to make something quick (which you should), then you can get something together pretty quick with GoPro phone app.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts