Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video of the first go kart. It's terrible quality as the gopro was just clamped to the sheet metal at the rear of the cockpit, making for a shakey and noisy video, but here it is:

https://youtu.be/9kwstv29lNo

About 2 min in, a rubbing noise begins in the rear passenger wheel area. Figured it was the brake pistons trying to sort out it's position and was hard to hear consistently. I took my son and later my wife for a ride, and the noise was definitely still there. Pulling back into the garage revealed a very small bit of smoke coming from the rear passenger brake pads.

I'm guessing I've got a stickey caliper? Should I pull it and push in the pistons? These are Mike Forte's mustang brakes on a Moser rear I bought from him. Thoughts welcome.

--Nathan

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the same brakes from Mike. My passenger rear parking brake sticks on, if I push the pedal down hard I will hear it click and release. I have to push the pedal harder then I would for normal around town driving.
Try checking that?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rubbing ended up being the caliper being too close to the rotor. The rotor was carving a groove into the caliper. I opened up the mounting holes just a bit to move the calipers out slightly, and that gave me the space I needed.

I may have a slightly sticky parking brake on that side as well, I'll have to look more closely. Things spin without much resistance, so I'll try it like this and see if I continue to guild too much heat on that side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts