Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found this glove box on ebay, Overall measurements: 17" W x 9 3/4" H x 5 1/2" D overall (not including the latch)
Inside measurements: 14 1/2" W x 7" H (tapers to 4") x 4 1/4" D
Cutout: 15 1/2" W x 8 3/4" x 5" D
$63 free shipping,

i don't know if it maybe to big (long), will may a template and lay it out on the dash.

·
8,354 Posts
My personal preference is one thats more oval, like the ones our vendors sell. That one is way too big! Just my opinion; you're the one that has to be happy:001_smile:.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think that one will fit. I think the 9 3/4 inch tall end will not put the glovebox where you want it. You will have to shift the glovebox towards the center of the dash to make it fit. Measure before you buy.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
I am working on my glove box now. I, personally don't like the plastic door. I have seen a few with the plastic box installed and a vinyl covered door. That wouldn't be too hard. I am making my own. What I am doing is a LOT of work (but a lot of fun in my twisted mind). I am going to have piping like the originals (again more work), but hidden hinges and my heater controls. There is a more rounded one than your picture. Remember that visual design is about proportiions and balance. That big square one doesn't have either IMHO. Too big, and the lines have nothing to do with the dash lines.

Mock up:

Pieces cut out:

Putting it together:

box done:

hole:

Dash:

Now if can ever get that door done....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Avalanche, Your design is precisely the direction I planned for this spring. I sure would like to see your progress on the door/hinges and how you attached the box to the back of the dash. As an engineer I don't ever want to 'reinvent the wheel' . . . your wheel looks great. Larry

·
Registered
848 Posts
Perhaps one of the newer, high tech two part bonding adhesives could be used to attach the glove box "shell" to the back of the dash ....

I can't suggest anything specific but I understand they have come a long ways recently with that technology .... remember the original Honda NSX body that was largely a composite structure and was essentially just "glued" together.

Lynn

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I still have to build the box part for mine but is coming along fine... I am going to build a box similar to yours...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice designs!

yes, you all correct it is to big, its just tough to do with the dash already in, i will probally better off doing something in between the seat in the trunk wall.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
JJ I love it. Very creative. Please post photos when it's finished.
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts