· Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
done it, did it and now i can say.........wow can you say wet MR Obvious:evil:
wipers NO
top NO
waterproofing i did at the rear wheel wells worked, the forward area no help
i think the rain came in the most at the windscreen cutout, and the doors
had to stop the next day and pull my speedo gauge cover off and dry it i couldnt even see my mileage.
i plan to get one of those portable wipers to mount to the windscreen, even though the water still gets to the inside and it plays hell on seeing, the worst was 20 miles plus back to a cabin when it just got dark on a 2 lane country road
hooty hoot

we will be inspecting a modification on more waterproofing. lets talk water
port, starboard, aft to stern, and foreward to bow will all be looked at

· Senior Charter Member
2,836 Posts
Been there, done that. I carry a little squeegee with me now. On a road trip to the Tail of the Dragon I drove through a monsoon and had more water on the inside of my windshield than the outside. Scary stuff. I keep meaning to drill a few drain holes in the floor.

· Junior Charter Member
3,146 Posts
Just got back with the wife today in a gully washer. She thought it was fun:confused1: Put it in the garage, chamoised it off, opened the doors and used the shop vac, then put box fans on each side to blow into the open doors. Will be good to go tomorrow.

· DRIVING!!!
307 Posts
I think its odd the directions say silicone this and silicone that, put some inbetween the panels, all the seams... and then put some more on... and then heres another thread saying drill some holes in the floorboard... do I <really> nead to silicone the floorboard seams or just care less about every seam on the floor????

· Registered
1,709 Posts
4 hours to Michigan for the power tour got pounded. Bailed water from the floor with coffee cups. I knew it would pour and have been in the rain plenty. Rain-X is a beautiful product, so is a clear bead of silicone around the windshield post holes. OTher than that, just drive atleast 75mph :)

done it, did it and now i can say.........wow can you say wet MR Obvious:evil:
wipers NO
top NO
waterproofing i did at the rear wheel wells worked, the forward area no help
i think the rain came in the most at the windscreen cutout, and the doors
had to stop the next day and pull my speedo gauge cover off and dry it i couldnt even see my mileage.
i plan to get one of those portable wipers to mount to the windscreen, even though the water still gets to the inside and it plays hell on seeing, the worst was 20 miles plus back to a cabin when it just got dark on a 2 lane country road
hooty hoot

we will be inspecting a modification on more waterproofing. lets talk water
port, starboard, aft to stern, and foreward to bow will all be looked at

· Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Wipers don't do a lick of good. Best plan is to pre-treat the windshield with rain-x , and a couple of towels in the trunk to catch the wet stuff.

The worst leak in my car is the front edge of the door at the top where it meets the cowl. Seems to be a natural channel to pour the water on my left knee.

Driving over 45 or so really helps.

· Charter Member
3,740 Posts
I think its odd the directions say silicone this and silicone that, put some inbetween the panels, all the seams... and then put some more on... and then heres another thread saying drill some holes in the floorboard... do I <really> nead to silicone the floorboard seams or just care less about every seam on the floor????
NAVYDUDE,
Without silicone inbetween the panels and tubing and all the seams, water can/will come in everywhere. Think of it like riding around in a sieve.

· Current Cobra builder
136 Posts
I drilled little drain holes in the bottoms of the tubes, as many tubes as I could. Haven't been in rain yet, so I don't know how effective they are? Sprayed antirust inside the tubes as well.

JKII

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
I was caught twice in the rain when I had my Roadster. Sucks! Wiped everything down when I got home

· FFCobra Fanatic
4,082 Posts
Mel & I drove in the rain for a couple of hrs. last summer. No top, no windshield wipers. Used the shop vac when we got home, & sucked out 2 1/2 gals of water!!!:w00t: Maybe time for some drain holes?(lol)
Butch
PS
Even had to take out both seats to dry carpeting!

· USN SEABEES RETIRED.
1,800 Posts
4 hours to Michigan for the power tour got pounded. Bailed water from the floor with coffee cups. I knew it would pour and have been in the rain plenty. Rain-X is a beautiful product, so is a clear bead of silicone around the windshield post holes. OTher than that, just drive atleast 75mph :)
LOL:w00t: Was this you?

Pic found in HOT ROD, I believe. Totally NUTZ!

· Charter Member
1,774 Posts
Rain

may longest drive in the last was the return trip from the London Cobra Show 2011, 310 miles in one day.
Wipers work good you must RainX both sides of the windshield. You will get almost as much rain on the back side of the windshield as the front.
A hooded coat or jacket is best thing to keep me dry. Rain will blow over the windshield and on to the back of my neck/head. Four beach towels behind the seat so I can put one over my right knee for the rain blowing around the windshield post. I also use them to cover the seats when it's going to sit in the sun for a long time.

I may have 500 miles in the rain out of the 36,000 on the Cobra.

Sometimes you just stop and wait it out. But on the freeway, just lean forward and drive faster!

Dwight

· Chief Cook and Bottlewasher
1,396 Posts
And, if you wear them don't forget to treat your eyeglasses with rainex too. Inside and out. Do booth sides of the windshield, both sides of your glasses, pull up the hood of your rain coat and just keep driving.

· Senior Charter Member
766 Posts
I also heard of guys using some sections of sponge tubing to put temporarily in the door gap by the windshield. Alot of water comes in there also.

· Registered
55 Posts
Hard Rain Lesson

Just learned first hand on my trip back from Road Atlanta yesterday about putting Rain-X on both sides of the windshield. Always used it on my racecars and couldn't figure out why it stopped working after only 20 min of hard rain, had as much rain on the back of the windshield as the front. Lessons learned the hard way are always the ones best remembered. Also, never ever trust the weather app more than 12 hours out:icon4a:

· Charter Member
3,740 Posts
Funny to hear so many people complain about the rain on the backside of the windshield.

I never had that problem, got caught in a couple of good rain storms when I own a roadster.

Maybe its because of my windshield angle, wipers, sunvisors, and or wind wings prevented it.

· Registered
372 Posts
Got caught in 4 storms on the the way to London two years ago. We had water coming from everywhere. The only time my son said anything was when the water was filling his shoes in the passengers side footwell :eek:. We got to Columbus and let the water drain out of the predrilled holes. I really wish I had rain-x'd the inside of the windshield. One of my winter projects is to seal up the wheel wells and the windshield posts.

Scott

· Not a waxer
12,099 Posts
I've been drenched a number of times. In a shower as long as you're moving forward lots of it goes over you and it's really not too bad. Heavier rains though that isn't the case and you've just got to deal with it or stop. A couple of times I've pulled over and taken refuge under canopies; once at a closed drive through bank and another at a funeral home (pretty sure there were no services going on at the time!). On one occassion I got the helmet out of the trunk, put it on with the shield down and motored on. Another time though was actually a little frightening. The sky was black and suddenly the clouds opened up with a wall of water. It was like the windshield was being blasted with a fire hose. Rain-X didn't stand a chance. I truly could not see and was looking around the windshield to find the white line. My bigger fear was that I would not be seen (black car on wet asphalt during a torrential downpour) and someone would run up on the back of me. I pulled off onto a side road, got the cover out of the trunk and put it on then got back inside the car and waited it out. Just like being in a tent!

All part of earning your roadster stripes I guess :wet:

Jeff

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.