Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I am about ready to order a kit. I have a donor (98 GT). I don't plan on using the motor or trans from it (I will be pulling a 4.6 DOHC from a 99 Cobra unless I find an 03 for the right price).

I need some advice on what I should order.

If I am reading right, it looks like if I get the base kit, I can get the aluminum radiator and other extras that I would probably want to ditch from my 98 anyway for free (or $700... I'm still not real clear on that).

I am just wondering if that is the way to go, or if I should get the 20K kit.

What kind of parts would I still be looking at replacing from the donor (other than brakes, but I think I would be going big brake kit eventually but probably not right away).

This will be my first build, so I have a ton of questions.

Thanks
Joseph

· Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,825 Posts
You would be best off using the diff from the 98 and not a later one. The later ones really are to wide for the chassis.
What level of kit you get really depends on what you want the finished car to be. Using the 98 as a donor is easy and adding the cobra engine will make a nice performer. There are many parts available from myself and other vendors that are nicer than the complete kit options and a good part of the time more cost effective.
I guess a big questions is what you want to do with the car? How do you plan on using it?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to drive it but not track it. My plan is to build it with the intention of being able to take a trip to Florida if I feel like it, but also not use it as a daily driver.

I want it to be fast but I don't need another quarter mile car.

· Registered
523 Posts
If you have good donor parts (power steering and brakes, cooling system [incl radiator], wiring harness), i'd go with a basic kit and a WireDiet. Otherwise, you'd be unnecessarily paying for a lot of parts that you don't need. Worked for me.

Note: with stock brakes you will have too much front brake (relative to rear) and will need to deal with that (larger rear brakes [nahh], softer pads on rear, or put a proportioning valve on front system and turn it down). The dogma is against the third option ("what if the proportioning valve fails????"), but the beauty of it being your build is that you can say "screw dogma".

Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
2,056 Posts
What kind of parts would I still be looking at replacing from the donor (other than brakes, but I think I would be going big brake kit eventually but probably not right away).
Ok - if you're a real do-it-yourselfer, and you're not "junkyard adverse" (as in go to pull-a-part and get it yourself).

Then I'm going to say that you should go with the base kit + a few upgrades. Mostly like tubular a-arms + IRS or 3-link. Maybe the wheels too.

Most of the rest of the stuff you can pick up as you go since you'll be spending a lot of time here learning what it is that you might want to pick up.

Let's start with another radiator to look at:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380425/overview/

Not exactly the same as the FFR, but do you think you might be able to make that work? They also go on sale occasionally...

With the base kit and a donor you'll have plenty of stuff to keep busy on...

JMHO,

Mike

· Registered
4,498 Posts
they have it listed on their site, the mk3.1 came with a rear-end and an upgrade was about 1600 bucks back in 2009 for the irs F5R changed their build parts on the MK4 if you hold that button on the computer it will be MK$:evil:

i like a straight axle less moving parts, but to each their own
mine is all old school
happy build if you pull the plug to buy, i ordered mine the last day of december in 2008 and no job, thought i would stimulate the economy:evil:

now its 2012 no paint and no job:evil: but i am an optimist job starts up for me in mid JAN.:001_smile:

· FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
I'd start with the basic kit. You can make many changes in the future to fit your needs. I think you can change anything except the pedal box. I started with the basic build and over the years changed the entire braking system, rear end gears from 327 to 355, engine, clutch kit, front headlights, efi to carb, wheels, tires, seats, wire harness, roll bar and other small items I can't remember. Long story short......the longer you own you FFR the more changes you will make to it. I used a donor pallet, 91 GT with IRS from Thunderbird SC.

Good luck

· Registered
679 Posts
If I could do over I would have gone with the complete kit. I went with the base kit with intentions on using donor parts from a 90 coupe. That plan quickly changed as I decided these cars deserve better than 20 yr old stock ford junk parts. At this point I started ordering parts that would have come with the complete kit. (Now many of these parts I upgraded from what the complete kit would have come with, but atleast I would have had them.) So now not only was I ordering tons of parts, and paying shipping on all these now mind you, It was also a pain figuring out what my kit came with and what I needed to order.

· Registered
739 Posts
Just a comment on the engine in the 98 vs a DOHC cobra engine. You could put PI heads/cams/intake from a 99-04 mustang GT on the 98 engine and it will respond very well. With no other changes, you'll get to the 270-280hp at the crank. Add in a moderate cam, and you'll easily match and or pass a stock DOHC engine (320+hp), and for a LOT less money and in a smaller package. The 98 engine responds well to these parts in part because of a bump in compression to about 11:1.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Advice? Order now and get this sale:
Option #1: Order a base Mk4 and you can add the following parts package (a $3,516 value) for only $699! These items can often be in need of replacement on a donor car, and the parts listed below are considerable upgrades over the stock Ford parts.

- Twin-Core Aluminum Radiator ($299 value)
- OEM Fuel Tank Components ($495 value)
- Front SN95 Spindles & Brakes ($1,094 value)
- Custom Chassis Harness & Electrical Components ($629 value)
- Aluminum Manual Steering Rack & Hardware ($299 value)
- $700 Wheel Credit

· Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
I got the base kit as I planned on doing a donor build.

I then realized that the value of a donor, I was looking for a Fox body, just wasn't there. Your situation is different.

So I changed plans to do a non-donor build.

I am still very glad I went with the base kit. I would not be using the brakes, steering rack, etc.

I added in the cooling package from FFR, and upgrades like Wilwood brakes, and Moser rear. I am better off $$$-wise by a couple thousand with the base kit.

You really just need to work through the build and see what you will and will not use. If you are staying very stock, a complete kit is a good deal. But with that sale, it looks like a base kit is the way to go.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am definitely getting in on that sale...

I have a few questions about options....

If I decide to keep the 2V 4.6 and just rebuild like bhuff said. What would I need to change in my options?

Do I still need the 4.6 Donor package? Will the foot box be the same?

Also, if I was using the steering rack from the 98 would I just need the adapter?

I plan on havING two roll bars, I figured since I want chrome I need to get the driver in chrome, do I need to purchase the passenger side also?

Anything, I'm missing?

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.