Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to order my FFR with IRS. Opinions? But the real question I have is regarding wheels with this setup. I want to get the Pin Drive wheels. I love that deep dish look on the rear wheels. What manufactures should I consider? What back spacing is required? Does the wheel size determine what brakes I use? What tire sizes work without rubbing? Thanks for any help you can provide me.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
My opinion: Go with IRS.

When you say "pin drive wheels" I assume that you mean bolt-on wheels with the pin drive arms, which gives the deep-dish look. Pindrive arms are 2.5" narrower rear, 7/8" narrower front (per side), so for bolt-ons you can run a 3.5" backspace rear, 5.0" front, with 17x9.5" rear wheels, 17x8", which is what I have. My wheels are PS Engineering, I believe Compomotive and others make them, but they tend to be pricey.
If you want to use the Trigo pindrive adapters they are 1" thick, I believe, so you will lose some "deep dish" effect if you go with pindrive knockoff wheels.

17" wheels should clear any brakes, 15" wheels may have clearance issues.

HTH

Forrest

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
I have the IRS and when you start your build you will be glad you did too. I chose the 17" Cobra R wheels with standard offset (5.95) with 275/40ZR 17 Kumio's. No problems with clearance or breaks, all standard.

San Rafael Mike

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
If you want the pin drive I think Trigo is the only way to go. The other option is the bolt on. See pics of the 16s on my site. Look at Dave Trumbos car. We are dealers for T-3 and PS engineering. Let me know if I can help. Cheers Richard. www.northcobras.com

·
Senior Charter Member
647 Posts
I also like and have the Trigo wheels but you have to decide which wheel you will use when you order your kit because the pin drive setup for the IRS option is narrower than the stock IRS also you will need to order the narrower front lower control arms to.

·
Charter Member
488 Posts
OK, I'm about to fine tune my order with FF5

I, too want the IRS/pin drive set up.
But I would like to use 15" wheels.
Am I going to have a problem?

And JohnnyB26 could you elaborate on your suggestion: "also you will need to order the narrower front lower control arms too"

·
Charter Member
488 Posts
Just spoke with Ron at FF5 and the Trigo 15" will work with IRS pin drive.

Shipping date March 28th!

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: 427SSSS ]

·
Senior Charter Member
647 Posts
I'm running the 15 inch pin drives and due to the backspace and adapter for the Pin Drives you have to use the narrower lower control arms FFR makes these special just for use with Trigo pin drives when your done you have the correct clearance for the tire to body and the same thing is needed for the rear FFR offers two IRS setups one is for normal backspace wheels where the second choice is for the Pin Drives I hope that helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all your reponses. You've been a big help you me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts