Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys in the Georgia Metro Atlanta area,

For those of you in the counties that require emission testing, can yall explain what procedure and who you worked with to get your car registered and/or titled as a 196? roadster? I have searched Clubcobra.com and FF for help, but cannot seem to get a clear procedure on what to do and what to bring to the tag office. I've heard several ways to go, but would like for someone who recently went through this to provide the contacts and the steps to follow, ie, insurance first, emission first, or registration first, etc.
I've seen on clubcobra.com that some have brought the Certificate of Origin to the tag office and got it registered as a 1965 roadster. Others have said NOT to bring the Certificate of Origin, but bring a bill of sale - where I get a bill of sale is unknown as I don't know who the "seller" should be. Some say that asking for a title is the problem. Some say a title is not needed if you can get it registered as a 60's vehicle while others have said they even got the title as a 60's vehicle. I'm dazed just typing this out! Some have said that an inspector does not need to see the car if it is registered as a 60's, while others say the inspection is mandatory no matter what year it is. I've also seen that the inspectors have ask that the car not be painted when they inspect the car. I would prefer like most that the vehicle be a 60's not a 2005 as the DMV web site dictates. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

George

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,934 Posts
Hey George,
I'm in Cobb county and when I was researching buying a kit I went to the main tag office in my county and this is what they told me.Your vehicle has to be inspected by state patrol so I called them and they said car could be finished when they inspect it.The next thing they told me is it will be registered as the year it was built (2005 if finished in 2005).So if it's a 2005 it has to meet OBD 2 Standards for emissions after the 3 year exemption. A 2005 doesn't have to be tested till 2008. My ultimate suggestion is go to your county's main tag office (not a branch office) and talk to a supervisor.Some of the forms to ask for are T-22R ,T-129 ,and if they will make copies of pages 93,94,95 of motor vehicle manual those pages cover Kit Cars. HTH.
Rodney

1 - 2 of 2 Posts