Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 535 Posts

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think technically we can say I'm in transition from Prep mode to build mode!!!

We had a few things come together this morning that make it a red letter day. I had most of the major assemblies for the car for awhile but decided the built 8.8 (spare for my Mach1) rear was overkill. So I sold it a few weeks ago to a friend and used the money for a few other items and a complete with brakes stock Mach1 take out rear. The rear will be here next week via freight and that was the last big part I needed. :yes:

So where is my FFR 33 Hot Rod today???????????????

It's in one of the things below ------------ as of this morning 1/10/09!!!

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The engine came from a 2003 Mach1 that was totalled with 2900 miles. It has been sitting for years awaiting install in a 66 Mustang vert belonging to a friend. He got stalled building a 66 2+2 with a Ford V10!!!! I'll get pics later when he let's me.

It will have bolt-ons only. All the internals should be fine for the 33. It will have AC to drive and a vacuum evac pump in place of the PS. The evenflo cooling mod will be installed along with an EMP water pump. The oil filter housing will be replaced with a FRPP unit using a remote filter. I have a canton 7qt pan and some additional engine dress up parts.

Induction will be a KarKraft adaptor to a 289 intake with a Holley 2barrel ???

OR

VCP's Stack intake with the tall stacks, WHICHEVER looks better :lol::lol::lol:

·
5,559 Posts
Geoff,
You must be extremely excited! I plan to go with a mod motor myself when the time comes. I have a set of those black crinkle covers going on my Terminator this winter, plus a spare set I'm saving for the '33. In fact, I've recently decided that I should probably start saving all of my extra parts for that, instead of selling them as I've been doing. Are those cop covers from KarKraft, or are they from Fore? Instead of the Evenflow cooling setup, you should consider the one being made by Invictus over on SVTperf. It is being sold on CobraBob's website, and is MUCH cleaner looking, as it uses all machined components, with AN fittings, and braided stainless hose. You can always sell your Evenflow on the classifieds to recoup some money.

Brian

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The transmission is also a Mach1 take out from an 04. Standard TR-3650 but because it came from the Mach1 it will have a .62 overdrive, not the standard GT .68 OD.

I'll use my normal mix of Mercon V ATF (fixed - changed from Mobil 1) and Lucas Tranny Fix to keep it lubricated and quiet. The shifter is stock but I have a few short throw assemblies available. My first choice would be the MGW but it won't bolt up to the handle I want to use.

I have an old Hurst Ram-rod (vertical gate) shifter handle that seems to bolt on. It would still work normal but look wild. The other option is some old NASCAR handles and knobs. The UPR handle on it now would look OK too with the right knob and a boot that just covers the hardware.

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geoff,
You must be extremely excited! I plan to go with a mod motor myself when the time comes. I have a set of those black crinkle covers going on my Terminator this winter, plus a spare set I'm saving for the '33. In fact, I've recently decided that I should probably start saving all of my extra parts for that, instead of selling them as I've been doing. Are those cop covers from KarKraft, or are they from Fore? Instead of the Evenflow cooling setup, you should consider the one being made by Invictus over on SVTperf. It is being sold on CobraBob's website, and is MUCH cleaner looking, as it uses all machined components, with AN fittings, and braided stainless hose. You can always sell your Evenflow on the classifieds to recoup some money.

Brian
Thanks Brian, I'll check out CobraBob's site for the cooling mod. Evenflow has some new assemblies too that I don't think are common knowledge yet.

The coil covers are from a group buy I did with Justin Fore over on the M1R. I did the design, Justin made 20+ sets vin matched to Mach1's. They're nicer than the pics make them appear. I pulled them off the TR Mach1 I sold to use on the 33, I'll have an insert done for the VIN pocket that has the FFR # on it.

The cam covers are just strange. They were just extra parts I had in the way so I decided to throw them on the motor while I sent the better set from the engine out to be powdercoated. Because they looked so bad I decided to do a half-hearted prep and throw some Krylon black krinkle on them. I sprayed them in the backyard on a very windy rainy day. The prep was 2 minutes total with a med scotchbrite wheel and then a wash with dawn and the garden hose. I luckily did some masking but didn't even check on them for 3 days, one had fallen on the ground. As you see, they somehow came out looking better than the custom PC'd covers on my Mustang or any other set I've seen. I'm using them. :D

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great start on your build page

stack

Thanks, perhaps we can inspire more folks to start posting. Considering the number of 33's to roll out I would expect much more activity. I might be posting less when the car arrives.........I just don't know until it does. :D

·
Ohio C-car Club
3,686 Posts
I'll use my normal mix of Mobil 1 and Lucas Tranny Fix to keep it lubricated and quiet.
Geoff,

Please elaborate on your special mix. I have a similar trans installed in my roadster that I need to fill up with fluids. The Tremec manual just states to use Dextron ATF, something like 3.8 liters, but others have said to keep it to around 3 which helps with the noise issue on the earlier 3650's.

BTW - the motor is looking nice, good luck with your build!

Thanks,

Scott

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Geoff,

Please elaborate on your special mix. I have a similar trans installed in my roadster that I need to fill up with fluids. The Tremec manual just states to use Dextron ATF, something like 3.8 liters, but others have said to keep it to around 3 which helps with the noise issue on the earlier 3650's.

BTW - the motor is looking nice, good luck with your build!

Thanks,

Scott
I'm glad you posted!!! The TR3650's in the Mach1's came with Mobil 1 but I currently use Mercon V spec ATF and yes it's 3L or 6.3 pints. This will put it .75 inch below the fill hole. The Lucas tranny fix is something I added to the 3650 that was in my 02 GT when it became hard to shift into second when cold and rattled in 5th when warm. It fixed the shifting and made it run quiet in 5th. I have added it to both of the Mach1's I've owned with the first tranny oil change. The Lucas can be added to the existing oil without draining any out so I usually add half the qt to the 3L fill.

I don't have any proof that this helps all cars but it improved the shifts and noise level for all 3 of my 3650 equipped cars.

My transmission post above should have said fill with Mercon V. I'll go back and fix it. The 3L spec is in TSB 04-26-13 and it DOES NOT recommend the additive, that's just something I do.

Good Luck

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just picked up some shorty headers for the car. I used these on my previous Mach1 and they were awesome. JBA Titanium coated and in great shape. I'm still not convinced these will be used but even if I go a different way they fit my 03 Mach1. I paid less than half the street price new, these sell for $680 to 800.

Pic installed on a friends Mach1

Mine

The only damage except needing a clean up

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The truck should be at VCP around 8am tomorrow. I better get some rest tonight. :D

Many thanks to Wayne for his help. I've been able to buy the right parts first time, ditch some bad ideas, and refine some good ideas with his assistance. MOST of the local shop owners are pretty hard to deal with and are SET in their ways, not Wayne. He was a great host today when on very short notice I brought by a friend with an interest in building/buying a roadster. Thanks for the tour; Frank called me this evening and was very excited about perhaps being a Cobra owner!!! :001_cool:

·
Supporting Vendor & Admin
8,396 Posts
I come back from a birthday lunch and what do I get, no pics even thought the car was delivered hours ago. The floggings will continue until the morale improves! :D

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I come back from a birthday lunch and what do I get, no pics even thought the car was delivered hours ago. The floggings will continue until the morale improves! :D
:oops: I deserve that. :yes:

Happy Birthday again. :happybday:

Here they come!!

·
33 Moderator
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We got to the shop at 7:59 ish and yes there was a surprise!!!

The truck got there at 7:38 and Wayne already had the car and boxes loaded in his 16 foot trailer. We still got pics of FFRHR#37 and some of the shop, it was VERY cold for AL so we didn't hang out too long.

Here's a few pics, I have more coming later. The whole operation was complete BEFORE 9:30am. :worship:

I have some great friends to thank:
Wayne - owner of VCP and my FFR mentor
Don Doherty - M1R member and my hot rod mentor
Barrie - WCC club member
Frank - WCC Pres
and as always the family

Stewart Trans truck at VCP

It don't look like $20K ?????

Unloading at my place, "stack it here guys"

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
I see a guy in the pictures that kinda, sorta looks like Wayne, but it can't be, as that guy isn't wearing shorts!

Have fun building Geoff!

Olli

1 - 20 of 535 Posts