Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards the Challenge car for my build. It will driven street mostly with about 5 track days a year to begin with. I may get competitive down the road but will stick to HPDE to start. My first question is can I use the mustang fuel tank. I will upgrade down the road to a cell but looking at them now they are retarded expensive and not in the budget. The second question is about the car not having the center spine like the MK4. How does that effect everything? It looks like it would make the trans tunnel flimsy without any structure under it. Curious why it doesn't have one. Have any of you welded one into the car?

Thanks,
Hank

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Challenge car for my build. It will driven street mostly with about 5 track days a year to begin with. I may get competitive down the road but will stick to HPDE to start. My first question is can I use the mustang fuel tank. I will upgrade down the road to a cell but looking at them now they are retarded expensive and not in the budget. The second question is about the car not having the center spine like the MK4. How does that effect everything? It looks like it would make the trans tunnel flimsy without any structure under it. Curious why it doesn't have one. Have any of you welded one into the car?

Thanks,
Hank
Hi Hank, absolutely you can use the stock fuel tank. I think FFR has straps for that tank (My kit in 2003 came with a fuel cell replacement out of a mustang in the same shape as the stock mustang tank)

As for the center spine, the challenge cars have a ton of bars added around the doors, making it much stiffer then a street going MK4 (street has doors that open so they had to beef up the chassis in the middle - not needed in spec car)

Hope that helps

·
BigA4327
270 Posts
I run my challenge car on the street and track it. The door not owning is not a big deal and will likely keep you from burning your leg on the side pipes. You will like the added protection on track as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts