Factory Five Racing Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes, but i wasn’t happy with the body position and how the wheels are in center to the wheel arches. Until i noticed that none of the dimensions on the body are the same from side to side. So i guess this is what it is, the wheels will be in different positions in the wheel arches between the left and right side but they will be correct to the frame. So i’ll fix the body in current position so i can continue with the build.

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm pretty close to doing the first alignment on my GTM and really want to see how the wheel fitment in the wheel arches looks like. If I remember correctly the front wheel arches are quite a bit off and a number of builders cut and re-glass them to make them look better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, the body is way off, the small piece between the door opening and the wheel arch on my driver side is almost 1/2” longer than the passenger side. I will solve this by adding fiberglass on the hood wheel arch. So the body could need some improvement.

I’m not that excited in cutting up the body and reglass it. I will continue the build and have a look from side to side before it goes to the paintshop. Maybe it doesn’t show that much.

·
Premium Member
12,252 Posts
I'm pretty close to doing the first alignment on my GTM and really want to see how the wheel fitment in the wheel arches looks like. If I remember correctly the front wheel arches are quite a bit off and a number of builders cut and re-glass them to make them look better.
That part is not really a matter of the wheel being centered in the body opening....but more of the fit between the hood and body.....the wheel arch in the body does not match the wheel arch in the hood. Same with the fitment at the rear edge of hood to door opening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello again!
Well i´m having a hard time with my GTM body. I aligned the rear making sure it was dead on in height and out from the shock mount on both sides using a aluminium bracket between the rear frame and the body. I fixed the passenger side with a couple of rivets and moved on to the driver side. I noticed that there was a gap between the body and the square frame below. And if I push the body down against the frame the body jumps down in the back causing a height difference of 0.4" between the wheel arches. The only way for me to get rid of this problem is to schim between the body and the frame below the door on the driver side. So far i have not seen any fitment issues with the doors, and it´s almost like the body is more happy where it is now.

Should i continue this way or should I stop? There´s not possible to have the body flush towards the frame on both passenger and driver side without loosing the height alignment in the rear wheel arches. There will be too much tension in the body and slightest vibration or bump will cause it to move out of alignment.

Hope for reply.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,252 Posts
So you have a gap between the door sill area of the main body and the chassis? Did you look to see if the roof of the body is sitting tight against the chassis halo? We find that a lot on the Gen II kits......no so much on the Gen I kits. If that is the case, then yes.... what we normally do is place a shim between the door sill of the body and the chassis tube to hold the body up off the halo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi Shane, i haven’t checked if the roof is against the halo, but i needed to lift the body on the driver side in order to have the rear wheel well gap equal to the passenger side. So i had to schim between the body and chassis tube in order to fix the body without forcing it to move down again. Hope it’s ok?

thanks

21 - 27 of 27 Posts