Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know about you guys but I love the look of the gel coat. It makes the car really look like a race car raw. Especially I put some static clean racing decals on the side. if I had the black roll bars inside pipes it really look a race car.

I'm sure I'm going to like the paint a lot in fact I can't wait. It's amazing how many people thinks it painted already.

Lol I can't wait to see people's reactions after Mr. Jeff Kleiner gets a hold of it. He will take it to a whole nother level!!!

Gel coat screams race car!

I bet the paint they used to put on the race cars probably was pretty rough.

anybody worried about having to drive their car in gelcoat for an extended of time don't worry about that it is still going to look amazing and turn heads.

Just a thought
Jason
20200812_122825.jpg
20200803_112231.jpg
IMG_4959.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put 2,000 miles on mine in gel coat. I love to see people at the cars shows look all puzzled at the mold parting lines.

As my wife says "n gel coat it's a 30 ft car". Looks great from that distance.

Mine as of this am:

Steve

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put 2,000 miles on mine in gel coat. I love to see people at the cars shows look all puzzled at the mold parting lines.

As my wife says in gel coat it's a 30 ft car. Looks great from that distance.

Steve
Yuppers. As soon as they get close they realize it's still need body and paint.

Nailed it!!

Still looks awesome 😄

Jason

·
Registered
862 Posts
you got it back from the shop? did they address coolant and oil leaks yet?
looks great!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,274 Posts
I am going on 4 years driving in gel coat. Mine is an MK3.1 with the older black gel coat. I am not sure when I am going to have the body work done and get it painted, but it will probably be over some summer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got my MK3.1 on the road in Nov 2019. 5700 miles now. Driving it in the dark gray gel coat. The positive comments I've gotten have made me re-think paint color when that time comes - I think it looks somewhat "sinister" and others have commented similarly. So now planning a gray matte or flat finish as the base color.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got my MK3.1 on the road in Nov 2019. 5700 miles now. Driving it in the dark gray gel coat. The positive comments I've gotten have made me re-think paint color when that time comes - I think it looks somewhat "sinister" and others have commented similarly. So now planning a gray matte or flat finish as the base color.
Gray matted will look awesome very popular look right now

·
Junior Charter Member
162 Posts
I put almost 8000 miles on mine in black gel coat. Actually got a lot of compliments. It had "personality".

·
Registered
333 Posts
Had mine at a cars and coffee this weekend in Gelcoat. Plenty of people knew what it was, but for those that asked, I told them I went so fast that the paint blew off. I too, am waiting for Mr. Kleiner’s magic to be done on mine as well. Next year it won’t be the ugly duck.

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Rookies! I've been driving mine in gelcoat for 10 years. Hoping to finally bring it back to the front burner this winter or next spring. Can't wait to finally graduate it.
Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I get a lot of "are you restoring it" comments at gas stations.
Your cars are looking great...
20150507_173723.jpg
20150507_173743.jpg

·
Registered
551 Posts
I put 83 miles on car and blew the rear first Cruz out wit the boys 🤷🏻‍♂️. im ok with gel coat look 🤠till I get bugs out of car so don’t need to go crazy protecting body lol,then I’ll send off to paint.Car is being sent to MetalMorphis in CT for paint.
4C904C3C-24D1-4947-9B09-119DF92A7263.jpeg

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
I am still in Gel Coat since 2005! Probably the oldest still in gel coat, not painting. The car now is known by it's unpainted patina. On the track, on the street, it has taken on it's own identity.

And I always comment - "I bet the body on my car has been felt up more than a go-go dancer on pay day..."

IMG_6034.JPG
Night Cobra 2020.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am still in Gel Coat since 2005! Probably the oldest still in gel coat, not painting. The car now is known by it's unpainted patina. On the track, on the street, it has taken on it's own identity.

And I always comment - "I bet the body on my car has been felt up more than a go-go dancer on pay day..."

View attachment 360068 View attachment 360069
Beautiful car

·
3,590 Posts
I drove my Mk3 over 6k in gelcote. Had black duct tape holding the doors, hood and trunk on. Looked great at night from 40 feet!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm enjoying mine in Gel. Learning lots of things that I don't want to do once it's painted like don't bounce the shoulder belt off the door.

·
Registered
24 Posts

View attachment 360068 View attachment 360069
That looks awesome! Definitely no need to paint it. Black and grey pull off the gel coat better than red, but if you are enjoying driving it, who cares?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts