Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Always loved nice cars, nice to look at, but most of all, love to DRIVE THEM:eclipsee_steering:
Owned a few , and always had to come back to those Shelbys
Started with red

Then moved onto to blue

here was the issue: Too nice to be worry free. Always had to watch where I parked, watching for the kids in the garage, ...
So know, told myself the next one would have to be the best driver I can get, without the headaches and worries.
So here is now the perfect toy for a wonderful MI summer

yes, far from perfect body, strait from the mold. but guess what: makes no difference when I drive it. Had a few issues with gaps parked in the sun

and had to do some serious diving working on some cooling lines

Bottom line: No problem sleeping after a few scraches. I can still remember when I spent North of 5k on a paint job on other cars ...
Sure, those parting lines need to go, but never again will I strive for a perfect finish !
Again, love seeing perfect cars, but this is not for me.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
I have pretty much bagged the idea of piant, I love driving and really using my "Race Car" without any concern of scuffs scratches etc.

·
7,201 Posts
I saw one last month. Just knocked down the seams, shot with a flat black primer. Tough looking car. Real mean and not many worries about dings, scratches etc. Looked good too! Didn't have a camera (or even my cell) with me to shoot any photos but it looked good.

Maybe my next build.....

Ray

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Worry free driving with a Gel-coat finish, for two summers now. :)

I have been tempted to just spray the Hot Rod black paint on it, which is a kind of a satin finish, and be done with it. Save a lot of time buffing out scratches, etc..Cheap too!:001_tongue:

But when you see a finished one up close.. one gets very tempted to make it pretty..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray, this is my plan: Flat black, with just contrasting rookie strips on the fender and maybe some sort of rondelles / numbers
JoeE: Thanks a bunch for the pictures. very close to what I am after. I Have the same bullit wheels, always loved those wheels ! (I even tried to get a 20" set for my wife's Flex ... until she shut me down:sad:)
Did you just sand down the seam and spray over, or did a more extensive job on the all body ? (I still can see the seams, but all your gaps seems pretty good, at least better than mine of the mold)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AC Bill
x2 on the temptation .... which is exactly what got me on my first cobras ... and I did not put as many miles as I wanted to because of that "stress". I would mostly drive it of my garage, go for a ride, and back to the house. I know go shopping, to work, you name it ! every chance I get :)
Same question on your seams: Did you just sand them down and spray (can ?) over ?
I also have silver pipes that have some rust starting to show. did you have yours coated, or just sprayed yourself ? (BBQ paint ?)

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
AC Bill
Did you just sand them down and spray (can ?) over ?
I also have silver pipes that have some rust starting to show. did you have yours coated, or just sprayed yourself ? (BBQ paint ?)
Yes, I did knock down the seams with sandpaper, and an orbital sander. I then used spray can paint to cover/seal them. They are still obvious when you get up close. Surprisingly, quite a number of people see the seams/patina, and think that it is an original aluminum car, that is undergoing restoration..lol
A few admirer's have said to me, just leave it, as it looks "race car tough" just as it sits. With the quotes I rec'd for finishing it, believe me, I'm tempted.

Side pipes are done in VHT flameproof paint.
VHT FlameProof™ Coating

Seams before..

Seams after..

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
JoeE: Thanks a bunch for the pictures. very close to what I am after. I Have the same bullit wheels, always loved those wheels ! (I even tried to get a 20" set for my wife's Flex ... until she shut me down:sad:)
Did you just sand down the seam and spray over, or did a more extensive job on the all body ? (I still can see the seams, but all your gaps seems pretty good, at least better than mine of the mold)
Yup started to do it the right way, grind out seams to get rid of gel coat. Then I just ground them down just below surface of body, taped seems off and semi gloss rattle can black from HD.

Im happy

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
All I got to say

It's is a good thing I don't have a Mark IV with that nice shiny red gel coat. I probably would never paint it... I am glad my seams don't look very well, I am going to have to get it painted. When I get that close to the end I might give a small section of it a try but I am afraid I might do something that would make a professional job not work and wish I hadn't. Any thoughts on that?.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
When I get that close to the end I might give a small section of it a try but I am afraid I might do something that would make a professional job not work and wish I hadn't. Any thoughts on that?.
It will cost more, if a pro has to strip paint, and grind filler out that you did, if in fact it does need re-doing.
Buy a beat up old fiberglass boat, and practice on it first.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
very intersting concept ...seen in person some Lotus Elise and Bentley GT. I was amazed how good it looked, with all the curves, and no wrinkles.
At a minimum, could do the stripes, as you see on the new Mustangs ....

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Has anyone done a vinyl wrap on theirs instead of paint?
A FFR with a carbon-fiber look wrap? Yes/No?
I looked into it, looks like $1,500 in materials and $1,000 to be applied. I just think it make look a bit over the top. I may do my hood after I install louvers and see how it looks.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,657 Posts
7 Years later
2 bodies
two engines
three transmissions
24,000 total miles
10,000+ track miles (yes, run alot!)
Countless modifications

Still in Gel Coat! and not painting. Mine was built to run, run fast, and run hard, not look pretty.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Everything is Rattle Can, stripes and all.....Just buy them all from the same location. I did spend the time to rough up the surface with sanding block, and layout the stripes with painters tape.

I will be spending next summer in the same dress.....

Have not been able to get much seat time, between work travel and trouble with breaking rocker studs on AFR Heads.....replacing them with ARP later this week.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
I actually rattle canned the door of an Infiniti that I used to have. It was even black to make it worse. Something flew up and put a huge gouge in the paint. I did rattle can black and then rattle can cleared the the whole door. I did spend HOURS buffing and buffing and buffing. You could not tell. It was actually smoother than the factory paint which has a little orange peal. Even when they did a trade in inspection they didn't notice. It got an excellent on paint condition.

I saw a web site a few years back where a guy painted a car with a roller with super thinned paint and lots of very thin coats. It was a corvair. It didn't look bad in the pictures. It would be good enough for a race car. It even has stripes.

Here it is if you are brave. $50 paint job.

50 Dollar Paint

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.